My cat may be pregnant

esmemoon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I've been browsing this site for a while, and I finally decided to join. I have a cat, female who is 2 years old. I never got her spayed because I never thought I would be getting another kitty and she never goes outside. Well as things happen, I ended up with another whom is a male and was about to be PTS at the local shelter. They told me he was neutered 3 months prior (even has a tattoo on his tummy). Well, I'm beginning to seriously doubt that, as when he first got here he mounted my female CONSTANTLY. I chalked it up to normal behavior because he wasn't neutered young. Now my female has lost all hair around her nipples, gotten milk, and has started nesting. I can't get her in to the vet for almost an entire month because they are booked. I have felt her abdomen and can't feel anything. I have never experienced a cat pregnancy and I'm completely lost on what to think or expect. Any advice?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh boy, she definitely sounds pregnant. Can you post a picture of her?

Have you read any of our links yet about pregnant cats and having the kittens?

You may want to find another vet. If there are any medical issues with mom or kittens you'll need to be seen right away instead of waiting a month.

You'll also need to get the male cat neutered asap.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't blame you for being upset. How far along do you think she is?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

esmemoon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
From all the things I've read I'd guess she'd have them any day now. She has a ton of milk and is obsessed with cleaning herself. She also has chosen this basket as her birthing zone. She's always been on the chubby side so I didn't notice anything until milk leaked on my bed.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Goodness! Please keep us posted on her.

Call the shelter and speak to them about neutering the male cat for you for free since it obviously wasn't done.

Last edited:

esmemoon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update:
She is now in the bathroom. It's a big bathroom but I left the door cracked so she could come out. She only comes out to attack the other cat. He is nowhere never the bathroom and she usually loves him. I figure maybe she's getting ready.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update:
She is now in the bathroom. It's a big bathroom but I left the door cracked so she could come out. She only comes out to attack the other cat. He is nowhere never the bathroom and she usually loves him. I figure maybe she's getting ready.
Keep the male cat from her! Do not allow them to be in the same room. If she births kittens they are in danger from the male cat. There is a very sad thread on this site where a newborn kitten was bitten by a male cat in the house. The kitten later died.

esmemoon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh yes I know! I have him locked in the office now with a litter box and whatnot. I figured he was stressing her.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yes I know! I have him locked in the office now with a litter box and whatnot. I figured he was stressing her.
A pregnant cat will be stressed by any other cat when she births. This means that when she is with her kittens, they must always be alone in the room. As women, I think we can relate to that.

First, I would take the male back to the shelter - stat. Demand that they prove to you that they have neutered him or leave him there for neutering.
If momma births, when the kittens are weaned around 8-12 weeks have her spayed. Even if she never goes out, it is injurious to a female cat to constantly be cycling in & out of heat.

esmemoon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So looks like she was indeed pregnant. One baby so far.