My cat lost her voice?!?!?!?

reekittysmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am new to the site and came across it while googling cat lost his voice. My sookiest kitty lost his voice about a week ago. He's got no other symptoms and is his normal self, just a very quiet noise when he meows. He's still purring and when he jumps he almost makes a meow on landing.
After reading the responses it's put my mind at ease a bit. His brother has just been diagnosed with chronic kidney disease as well as FIV so I can't really afford an unnecessary trip to the vet.
Of course if he shows any sign of worsening he's going for a ride!
I just wanted to say thank you for all the stories and info [emoji]128513[/emoji]

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
At least call the vet and run the symptoms by them.  Personally, if my boy hasn't been in for a while, I would use the opportunity to get him examined for it and get a wellness checkup.  The "meOW" is 2/3 rds of the cat. The rest is just fluff and Wolverine-style Paws of Fury (ha ha Bruce Lee's Fist of Fury).  Seriously isn't her health worth the cost of the vet visit, even if the prognosis is a "she'll be just fine?"  Like how many of us turned up the music in the car and tune out that that annoying squeal or grinding sound, only to get scolded by the brake mechanic for ignoring it?  I'm not a vet, but I can sell you some snake oil.

Sarahwith2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know this is an old thread, but want to share my experience - I came looking for information a couple weeks ago... My cat had the same - his meow went really high-pitched for no apparent reason on Saturday, the next day he was silent. I had heard him cough twice during the previous week, otherwise he was acting perfectly normally. I took him in to the vet on Monday and she looked him over and prescribed Azythromicin for upper respiratory infection, suggested we wait a week and if he didn't improve, we could do lots of tests, sedation, x-rays... By the following Saturday, he was starting to squeek again, and by Wednesday was voice is back to normal. He seems to be fine. I'm posting this because the first article I came across had the ominous title "it's more serious than you think..." In some cases, I'm sure it might be very serious, but it's also possible it is something that will be gone in a week. I'm glad I took him into the vet - and really glad I didn't jump into extensive testing right away.

Dinchmiester911

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm curious is there a relation between flea medicine and cats losing their voice?

My cat just lost his meow this past week...

Possible reasonings are:

A. My roommate just got a new kitten and it has caused my cat to be so territorial that he lost his voice.

B. The mold in my AC unit that's making me sick is also making my cat sick. I've since stopped using the AC unit and plan on cleaning it before hauling it to the attack now that is getting colder where I live. That's also another possibility the weather causing allergies. My cat Gucci, will sneeze every now and again.

C. The flea medicine that he recently licked off (which I don't understand how my cat has the neck range of an owl but whatever) has caused him to loose his vocal cords? I caught him purring while I was feeding him chicken tonight. Thats a positive sign because before it was almost as if he would try to purr and could not.

Disclaimer:
I took Gucci to the vet this morning and they said that they didn't want to take blood or do a chest x-ray unless he was displaying flu like symptoms... And then took my $100... hmm...

I have no other option for my baby boy except to turn to the internet!!
I really hope he gets his meow back :(

If I say, "Gucci!! MEOW!!!" he goes " MEOWWWWWWWWWWW" and im like "awww i fkin love you Gucci"
And then when I get home from wherever i've been he says "meowwwww" and makes me pick him up so he can nudge my face to death..
Or if he ever escapes under the deck outside (Inside cat, this town is too wild! Not risking my baby being roadkill or being involved in one of the 100 cat fights a day) I just yell, "Gucci!!! FANCYYYY FEAST!!! And he comes running and then I say "Gucci, do you wanntttttt FANNNNCYYYYY FEASSTTTT???" all excited and what not, and he goes "MEOWWWWWW, MEOWWWW, MEOWWWWWW" and I'm like ohhhhh okayyy Gucci heres your fancy feast and he's the happiest cat alive.