My cat likes a dog better than another cat. Strange?

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My boomerang son has come back to live with us for a while. He has a 10 lb male Jack Russell terrier and a 5 year old spayed female cat. We have a 3-1/2 year old spayed female cat. She's been an "only pet" since we got her. My son has his own space in the in-law suite so the animals don't have to share living space but he likes to bring them around our cat once in a while in the hopes they can all be friends.

My cat, Stella, loves the dog! He's a well behaved little guy who is used to cats and she is always happy to see him - she loves to stalk him and chase him around, and play with him. They have never had a dust up, and she only occasionally hisses when he gets a little too rowdy.

My son's cat, Amelia, is a different story. In spite of all efforts to introduce the two cats slowly - and they do know each other now - they just aren't having it. Stella will tolerate the other cat if she is across the room, but she watches her warily. One step too close and the hissing starts. Once Amelia crosses the line they get into full blown cat fight ending up with them BOTH running to their "safe place." My son's cat is larger and more aggressive than my cat, but my cat has the Home Court advantage. They equally scare one another, is how I see it.

Anyway, I don't understand how people have multiple cats that co-exist peacefully. And I don't understand how a cat can prefer a DOG over another feline! (I've only ever had this one cat, so I don't know all the intricacies of feline behavior.)

PS...Amelia previously lived with another cat belonging to my son's former roommate, and they got along fine.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's actually both for the same reason. Another cat is a threat to her territory, another female at that so they are competing for all the same resources. She sees another animal who uses the same litter box, smells like a cat, eats cat food, etc. Direct competition for all the good stuff. A dog on the other hand is just different enough that it doesn't immediately trigger any competitive instinct. Add on the dog is already cat friendly (so assumingly had never been aggressive) and near cat size? You have a similar enough to like but not a threat and not competition scenario.

In my experience, female to female bonding can take more time. All my females have been more territorial then 90% of my males. Especially when it came to their views of other females. As long as they are not fighting, just give them time to realize they aren't a threat to each other's space. They may never like each other but at least they may get to companionable tolerance. I have a female and two males who have been together for 9 years and they have their days when they are best friends and their days where they want their space.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's actually both for the same reason. Another cat is a threat to her territory, another female at that so they are competing for all the same resources. She sees another animal who uses the same litter box, smells like a cat, eats cat food, etc. Direct competition for all the good stuff. A dog on the other hand is just different enough that it doesn't immediately trigger any competitive instinct. Add on the dog is already cat friendly (so assumingly had never been aggressive) and near cat size? You have a similar enough to like but not a threat and not competition scenario.

In my experience, female to female bonding can take more time. All my females have been more territorial then 90% of my males. Especially when it came to their views of other females. As long as they are not fighting, just give them time to realize they aren't a threat to each other's space. They may never like each other but at least they may get to companionable tolerance. I have a female and two males who have been together for 9 years and they have their days when they are best friends and their days where they want their space.
Yes, the dog is cat sized and cat friendly - he is playful with a submissive disposition and totally non-aggressive (if anything, he is slightly afraid of the cats.) He gets along with both the cats, but the "girls" don't get along with each other, not even a little bit.

Can you explain to me about "cat fights?" The few times they've gone at it, it sounds absolutely horrific (I'm sure you know what I mean) then they both run away from each other. My nerves can't take it, I can't relax when my son's cat is in the house knowing it could blow up any minute. Will they actually hurt each other or is it just posturing? I have never even had one cat before this one, let alone two.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The rule of thumb, for me, is "If there is no blood/pee on the floor or chunks of fur in the air, it is NOT a cat fight." A true cat fight is characterized by a determination to do physical harm to the other cat. However, what you are describing sounds more to me like a VERY heated discussion, and sometimes a cat's gotta say what a cat's gotta say. To us, it sounds like a war has broken out, and that there is wholesale slaughter going on, but when we check, no one is injured. Horrible to hear, but no harm done, and may even help them sort out who is who and what is what.