My cat licks itself while being cuddled. Why?

jonas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat allways start to groom itself when I pet it. I can start scratching it, and it instantly starts to lick itself. When I stop petting, the cat stops licking instantly. I can pet it for 2 seconds, and my cat will lick itself during those two seconds and then stop after that. It will start licking instantly itself even if it was very chill and almost in a sleeping state when I started to pet it. I really wonder why. Does anyone know about why he does this?

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I hope someone who actually knows the answer to this answers you, but here is my experience...

My cat used to do this sometimes, though not with the regularity you describe with your cat.    I had the weirdest impression at the time that my patting him reminded him of his mama and he was giving himself the licks he associated with her.  He seemed very happy - purred and did not move away or anything - and I'm pretty sure my intentions were welcome. 

Years later, however, he stopped liking to be brushed - I think his skin became super sensitive.  It might be that it was always somewhat sensitive and his licking was a way of dealing with it.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jonas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sensitive in what way? Pain? My cat is purring and is happy when cuddled.

Also if I take my hand near him he will lick me instead.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Your cat sounds a lot like mine did when he was young.  I really didn't associate his licking with being uncomfortable at the time - quite the reverse.  My sense was that he felt nurtured and was adding to the sensation by licking himself.  I can't tell you why I thought that - it was almost a sixth sense.

It was only years later that I wondered if I was totally off base - that perhaps his skin was unusually sensitive and felt overly stimulated, causing him to lick it to calm down the sensation.  I only wondered this because he did eventually reject being brushed, which he had always loved.

Anyway, I really hope someone who knows the answer can tell you what's up!

jonas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can tell you 100% sure that he is enjoying himself. I am cuddling him after all. I guess he just want to look nice when he is cuddled :)

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine does exactly the same thing. He likes to come for pets, and I'll scratch him in the places he likes, or I brush him. He starts purring, then licks himself. He seems to have a sensitive back, but completely unbothered by it. I stroke or brush his back and he'll lick. I stop, he stops. I put my hand near him when I brush so he licks my hand instead. No idea why. He makes no attempt to tell me to stop it, or move away. 

Cats are odd like that.

jonas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Guess my cat is just odd that way.