My Cat Keeps Running At The Door

alisad1981

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I recently adopted another cat (Bosco), and we just have a small problem. Whenever he sees me getting ready to leave my apartment (unless he's sleeping), he takes up a position a few feet from the door, then when I open it, he tries to escape. I've tried yelling and nudging him away with my foot, but then he attacks my foot (luckily, I'm wearing shoes, so his teeth don't get through).

My building has an outside door and a security door, so it wouldn't be a crisis if he did get out of my apartment. But I still have visions of myself chasing him all over the three story building. I've thought about taking him out on a leash so he can see that the hallway isn't at all exciting, but there's a chance that he'll think a hallway with doors and windows is VERY EXCITING and he'll redouble his escape efforts. I've read that squirt bottles aren't very effective and can be counter-productive, so what can I do?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You can try the discipline route by saying a firm "NO"' or actually hissing at him - but make sure your other cat(s) aren't close by because they might think you are talking to them. You could also try the distraction route by placing a few treats in a dish - far away from the door - and see if he would be more interested in eating than dashing.

If he is not neutered, get him neutered. That might help most of all in getting him less interested about getting out the door.

If you already take him out of your home, or plan on doing so, always pick him up and carry him out - do NOT allow him to walk out on his own. Eventually, he will learn to think the way outdoors is through you carrying him through the doorway.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Olive did that for a while. I hissed and nudged but there were a few escapes. I kept a laser pointer by the door, but I felt bad tricking her. Over time she got better the longer she hadn’t been outside. Now she’s a little weary near the door when it opens since something keeps hissing over there.

MeowHiss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kiki was a door darter. I have a townhouse apartment and a door that leads directly outside. She actually did get out once and I managed to grab her.

To fix this, I used an empty soda can with about 10 pennies. The door darting wasnt a problem when I left, because I could throw treats upstairs and she'd run after them.

When I came home from work, she'd wait RIGHT BY the door and slip out as I opened it. So before I opened the door, I'd shake the can, crack the door and sheke the can, then she'd usually run under a chair.

Now she respects the door and waits at a safe distance.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
My Bourbon was a street cat before I rescued her. During the first few weeks after I took her in, she also used to dart out the door with the speed of lightning. Twice she succeeded, the rest was a failure for her. I used to distract her with food, plastic bag (because she is obsessed with it), anything. Or while at the doorway I clapped my hands or stomped my foot as it scared her away. This went on for several weeks more, until finally she probably realized her efforts would be futile, or that living outside again is not worth it. Now we can leave the house for work everyday without any issues. She just watches us leave while laying on the couch. Still, despite this, we are still not putting our guards down. You know how smart cats are.