My Cat Keeps Moving Her Kittens

Kelseylouise1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had 6 kittens a weekago she had the behind the sofa and has since loved them 5 times to places that are not very quite i have tried moving them into a room with her but she just picks them up and stands by the door with them wanted to move them back to the living room what do i do?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you give her a couple of large cardboard boxes to try? Some cats prefer a cave-type style with a hole cut out of the middle, others like the open-top style.
Some good detective work for the quieter room is in an order - perhaps there is an old scent of stray cats or dogs outside (maybe even coyotes) or ants or some other " threat" to her babies. Is her litterbox kept far away from the nest?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kelseylouise1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The litter tray isn’t no where near her and we do not have coyates in my county we do have two dogs but the dogs are not bothered by them

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it is no inconvenience for you, I would let her keep her babies in a box in the livingroom. The problem will be when the kittens are mobile - they risk getting stepped on, sat upon, caught in a door, eating things they're not supposed to, etc. The advantage is that the kittens will be better getting socialized.

Kelseylouise1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She has moved them back to the living room so I think I’ll keep them there I’ll get a box tomorrow if she’s moves them again I’ll let them stay there

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She has moved them back to the living room so I think I’ll keep them there I’ll get a box tomorrow if she’s moves them again I’ll let them stay there
Is she a first time mother? Sometimes they get a little frantic and pick "not the best" spots for them. Experienced mothers sometimes no longer do this.
Good on the box idea =)
Some stores that stock inventory would be happy to give boxes away of all sizes, so if finding a good size/fit for them is difficult, you might stop at some local businesses and ask them if they have any large-ish boxes to get rid of.
Once they're mobile finding a box with higher sides might be helpful...but they won't be contained forever =)

love67742

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When my cat had kittens, we made the mistake of touching them. The mother moved them until she found somewhere away from us. is it possible the mother doesn't want you or someone else touching her kittens yet? Even if the mother trusts you, maybe she doesn't want anyone to bother her kittens.
I'd try to put a box in the quietest room you have.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my cat had kittens, we made the mistake of touching them. The mother moved them until she found somewhere away from us. is it possible the mother doesn't want you or someone else touching her kittens yet? Even if the mother trusts you, maybe she doesn't want anyone to bother her kittens.
I'd try to put a box in the quietest room you have.
Excellent detective work :clap2: I find that cats are almost very, very practical.
@Pix: Great idea! Please keep us posted on how things are going.:cheerleader:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Excellent detective work :clap2: I find that cats are almost very, very practical.
@Pix: Great idea! Please keep us posted on how things are going.:cheerleader:
When I was a kid we had a barn cat have 4 kittens, her first litter (she only had two until we caught her and had her spayed.)
A few days after they were born, I couldn't resist picking them up, one by one, and gazing at them and naming them while my loyal dog was by my side...
She got back to the nest, realized something was off and moved them, but did the first time mom mistake and did it frantically.
Later I found kittens scattered everywhere, screaming for mom cat, she was nowhere in sight and I was worried so I decided to gather them up, put them in a box, and haul them to the house and demand my parents and I bottle raise them.
They told me to put them back, so I did...later on, she had them in a messy kind of nest in a weird spot but was nursing them. (I was told to leave the dog in the house...) =X
I kept the dog inside and was not happy, but I visited the nest and after about 3 weeks she was OK with me handling them.
My parents were stern on letting Mom cat raise them, but were suckers and we kept them all...

Kelseylouise1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have just now put them in a box in a quite room I can hear her picking them up waiting by the door if I don’t let her out will she just put them back in the box?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She might or she might keep them there....ugh...this is perplexing. If they are there by the door when it opens, they could get hurt. C'mon, Mama Kitty, be reasonable.:doh:

Kelseylouise1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
mama cats going a good job there all growing she’s put them under my bed and seems to Ben happy with them there

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:clap: Glad that she settled down - you are obviously a great comfort to her :petcat:
Thank you for keeping us updated - we really appreciate it very much. We also love getting our "kitten fix", especially with pictures, especially those of us dealing with community cats because "our" kittens face so many rugged challenges from Day 1.
Enjoy those babies :happycat::runningcat::dancingblackcat::lovecat:

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't think there is anything more beautiful than kittens. My Ragdoll also tried to hide her kittens behind the sofa lol. I placed her in the laundry room with her kittens in a comfy large plastic container. I carved a hole on it. She has been content there.

Kelseylouise1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There doing very we’ll so is mum one kitten had one eye stuck together with stuff so I cleaned her up and both eyes open now