My cat keeps moving her kittens to my bed

ChristinaMunro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat had three kittens on October 5. About two or three days ago she started neglecting them. They would meow, and she would either ignore them altogether, or look on them, as if she cared, but not lie down to nurse them or clean them at all. After this, she pulled one of the kittens onto my bed and was nursing and cleaning it. I saw this as a good sign so I moved the other two to be with her on the bed and she took very good care of them. The only way I've been able to get her to look after them properly is if they are on the bed or if they are on the floor in the cat bed with me lying next to them. If I leave her unsupervised anywhere, but the bed, she will not take care of them. my bed is very high off the ground so I cannot leave them unsupervised as a nurse. When mom walks away after she's done taking care of them and they are sleeping. I move them to a safe little box on the ground with the cat bed inside. It's very disruptive to have to wake up at intervals during the night to make sure they get fed but it's not a problem for me as I don't have work or school or other responsibilities to get up for. Unfortunately though I do share a room with my sister, and it's very disruptive to her with the cat, jumping on and off the bed and the kittens meowing as I or mama move them. it should also be noted that she has had a litter previously. The last litter was fine. She barely moved them at all and nursed them perfectly normally. Is there anyway to stop this behavior and get her nursing all by herself again or do I just have to ride this out until the weaning process is finished? I'll do whatever it takes to keep the little guys alive , but if there's anyway, I can leave her alone while she's nursing I would really like to do that.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Start the weaning process, and live with it a bit longer until they are eating slurry and kitten chow softened with formula or water.

Please get your cat spayed so that she does not have any more litters. She is tired. Do not let her outside until she is spayed in two weeks when the kittens are 8 weeks old.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried offering her a box to jump into as well as a box with an opening cut out (like a cave)? It sounds like she is feeling vulnerable and wants your presence nearby so adding some of your used clothing in the nest might encourage her to stay in a box. Are there any changes that might be causing her to be nervous? A new dog or perhaps ferals marking territory outside your window? Since she did well the first time, her mothering instincts are good so I would investigate environmental factors. Please keep us posted!