My cat keeps getting attacked!

zorisuzaru

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I didn't know if this was the correct forum for this so please move me if it's not appropriate!

My 7 year old neutered bicolour persian, titch, keeps getting attacked by a local tom who is twice his size. We have always had our cats mostly indoors, they are however allowed out in the day time when we are around but are confined and we have never had any issues with them escaping, they are shut in at night. For the past few months this cat has been causing us hell, attacking titch, spraying all over our cat flap and even chasing titch into the house on several occasions. We have had to take him to the vets a few times because he's been bitten.

We have no idea who the owner of this cat is, but he is able to climb over the two metre high fence at the back of our garden, so there is no way of keeping him out :(

At the moment we are keeping him shut inside at all times, but with the nice weather it would be nice to resume our usual routine, plus he is desperate to go out but it seems even with close supervision this cat will attack and upset him.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Or has dealt with something similar? Or should we just keep his as indoors only for good?

Thanks

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In all honesty, I don't know what to tel you except for to keep him indoors.  I am sorry you're dealing with this really unfortunate situation 
 Hopefully others will come by with more suggestions. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zorisuzaru

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can only assume he isn't neutered because of his behaviour and spraying everywhere. Would TNR be legal given that he is not our cat? He does not look like a stray as he looks extremely well fed and in good health, but I suppose you never know.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yikes, that's scary.  In addition to what everyone else suggested I'd be concerned about things like FIV, rabies, etc.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like a very difficult situation, and I suspect regulations about TNR will vary from area to area.  It might be worth contacting any local animal rescue / welfare organisation close to where you live as they might be able to offer advice and assistance.  For your own boy this is a terrible shame and I really feel for you as you try to keep him safe and well.  

If you have garden space is there some way you could form an enclosed space so it is safe for all of you?  It may take time and money but an investment that could save your cat's life.  There's a huge range from small, free standing enclosures to those covering your whole garden and some of them look truly amazing - one is currently featured on the TCS home page. 

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I can only assume he isn't neutered because of his behaviour and spraying everywhere. Would TNR be legal given that he is not our cat? He does not look like a stray as he looks extremely well fed and in good health, but I suppose you never know.
well, if he isn't then I would consider him a stray and do it. Around here it's against the law not to spay/neuter your cat - you could check how it is around you, but if people don't neuter their pet and let him out without a collar, you should safely be able to assume that they don't care.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
A good way to keep unwanted neighborhood critters out of your house is to get a cat door that reads your cat's microchip.  We got one of those doors after a neighborhood cat was chasing our cats into our house and fighting with them.  You program your cat's chip into the door so he can come and go, and any animal that's not programmed in can't get in.  

We were worried about the cat still harassing ours when they were outside but after he discovered he couldn't get in the house any more (and we chased him off a few times) he quit coming around.  

As @MServant  suggests, though, an enclosure would be the safest thing for your kitty.

chwx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Their cat is in THEIR yard and by the sounds of it, enclosed already. I wouldn't go out of my way or wallet to invest in more enclosure personally. I'd catch the cat myself or have animal control do it to get the cat taken away. If it's someone's pet, they will either care enough about it to go looking for it at the shelter and get a warning about their cat at pick up OR they won't care and maybe someone else will. It sounds like OP has done their job to keep their cat within their yard, someone else's problem (cat) shouldn't be their problem. Have it removed.