My cat keeps chewing/biting my tooth brush?? How do I prevent this?

amber g

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone! So my cat Sara keeps chooing/biting my toothbrush... She'll jump on the counter, cause it's in a holder and she'll choo/bite it.. it goes for any kind of brush, when I tried to brush her the other day, she was attacking the brush, instead of letting me brush her... it's one of those brushes with brissels... Mom says that there's toys out there like this, so that instead of chooing on my tooth brush (thank god I have extras) that she could choo on a toy like it with brissels... has anyone heard of this before? If so, what's the toy called and where can I get it?? What should I do about Sara chooing on my tooth brush?? and the brush I got her for grooming. Any suggestions/feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Amber

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We had to lock all our toothbrushes in the cabinet.  Our cats used to fight over who got chewing rights!  The only toy I could find was for dogs:

But it might work for cats.  If you find any others let us know.  I'd buy a couple!

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, to prevent her from chewing on your toothbrush, I agree that you may need to put it away in a drawer or cabinet in the bathroom.

With that said, I actually thing this is a great thing! Cats should really get their teeth brushed, and many do not like it at all. But if she'll chew on the bristles herself, then by all means let her do all the work! I would buy her her own human toothbrush. If they're on sale, buy a few because she'll wear through them faster than you. Make sure to get the soft bristles with a rather large head. While supervised, let her have the toothbrush once or twice a day for 5 minutes or so. If you can even add a little of the cat toothpaste to it, that would be great. Make sure she's not trying to pull the bristles out and eat them. Afterwards, rinse the toothbrush thoroughly and put it away. It'll come to be something she looks forward to.

My Sebastian likes toothbrushes, so I bought him one. When my boyfriend came over, he asked very suspiciously who the third toothbrush belonged to. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amber g

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys! Thanks for all your help, I appreciate it!!! :) So I should get her a human tooth brush, and get cat tooth paste? She might not let me brush her teeth manually, so should I just leave it on the counter, where mine is, and go from there? I don't think/hope that she's not eating the brissels out.. other wise, oh god lol.. I'll have to look at that toy that was posted. Even though it's for dogs, maybe she'll like it. Who knows. Thanks and if anyone has any more suggestions, please post away! :)
Amber