My cat just had PU surgery and is having complications

lilliannah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh no! So sorry to hear he's having a rough time! There is very very little chance of his becoming reblocked after the surgery (its possible but so unlikely!) I do hope they check him for infection...after such a major surgery it is likely that could be the problem...also, Beast strained a bit and took forever (still takes forever) to urinate after the surgery....but hopefully they find why there is blood...could be simple post-surgery issues and nothing huge so stay strong and try not to worry too much!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leew80

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
Stitches were removed this am and he is back home. No blood in urine lately, eating, drinking more, energy has increased, urine output and bowel movements have increased. The doctor was optimistic and pleased with results of his recovery, however his surgery site is not as large as they were hoping.. but they witnessed a strong flow during his visit today. He has pulled through much these last few weeks and we are all happy to see him more back to himself.
From here we just continue to keep him in his normal routine and keep an eye on his bathroom schedule and output. He is strictly on wet food, and according to our vet they said his two favorites, catnip and tad bits of fish, is okay down the road in small quantities of course (he likes to eat catnip too). Cone can come off, but will be needed back on when we're out of the room for now. He has gotten to come out briefly throughout rest of house and has been calm, taking a nap in his spot.
Oh and the puppy pads in his catpan only lasted a short bit, he started feeling better and it turned into tug of war of me putting it in nice and neat to him shredding it instantly giving me that look. :) They said now we can go to litter, but I'm going to give him one more day of using up the rest of what's left of yesterday's news from the bag.
Huge thank you to all for letting me vent and for all the replies, advice, support, messages! The Cat Site, mods, etc..I am happy to have found this place. I will be back. It has brought much comfort and relief to relate to others and read their experiences as well for a procedure I knew nothing about at first! I will update in near future.

Last edited:

spookythecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,

I recently posted a question about the amount of urine my cat is yielding 2 months after PU surgery...he goes to the litter box like 6 or more times when he has to go and is leaving several seperate amounts of pee that is about the size of a half dollar each. He also cries a little every time he goes. Did your cat do this too? Thanks!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I would be worried if he did this so long after the surgery. I would try and get a sample of urine and take him and it to the vet.

spookythecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you and I will definitely be returning to the vet [emoji]9829[/emoji]