My cat just had kittens...IN MY BED! Can I move them?

lovelife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your kittens are so cute! I love how you caught the blue in their eyes. The color of blue in their eyes reminds me of a siamese cat eye color. Be funny if their eyes DID stay blue.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Eyes do begin changing color around the 12-week mark. Enjoy the blue eyes while they last. My black kitten looked just stunning with his all-black fur and blue eyes. Sad when they changed, but he's handsome with his green eyes too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kawaiikitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!

The kittens in my home are now 6.5 weeks old. They're eating like champs, using the litter box (most of the time), running around like crazy, climbing the cat tree, and still nursing of course. 

There are eight of them, so it is CRAZY around the house. I also already have three adult cats, one of which is mom (a 2 year old, 17, year old, and vet says mom is "young" maybe around 3). Mom was a stray, and when I took her in I didn't know she was pregnant, but then she quickly started to blow up...so I wasn't anticipating this lol. They're all adorable though and I love them. Mom will be spayed as soon as the kittens are weaned.

I have homes lined up for four of them with people I know very well, they are taking them in pairs, and I am planning on keeping two. All of the homes have agreed that they will not declaw, will have them fixed, etc.

I have read that 8 weeks is the EARLIEST kittens can be re-homed, but I would like to know if in reality it is still too young. My one cat, Buster (my icon photo), was adopted at 8 weeks. He definitely has some separation anxiety issues that I think may come from him leaving too early. If I go outside on the porch he cries at the door, etc. I'd just like for the kittens to be re-homed at an age that is best for them.  I was thinking about keeping them until 10 weeks? Is that a good age? I don't think I can keep 8 kittens in my small house all the way up until they are 12 weeks old. They're growing so fast. But if that is what is best for them, I'll do it.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
10 is really the earliest that any kittens should be rehomed.  12 -14 weeks would be ideal in order for them to learn all of their kitten manners.  You are correct in your assumptions about anxiety and other behaviors being linked to being removed too early.  

Rehoming them in pairs and setting a standard of care is all great!  

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
If you are able to keep them until 10 weeks of age (and won't lose the homes lined up for them) this would be great! As they approach this age you'll be able to tell if any of them really need to be with mom longer. But, if they are all doing well, I see no reason to not send them at 10 weeks, especially since they will be going in pairs.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
10 weeks is fine. Rehoming at 8 weeks is generally not a disaster but I feel like they're still so immature that it's more ideal to keep them with mama for another couple of weeks. They tend to be better pets if they stay with their mom and littermates longer. Better at using the litterbox, better at not biting as much, etc.

kawaiikitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, everyone.

As far as kitten manners go, which I imagine are mostly learned from mom, mom is actually not really doing anything to show them how to behave like a cat. She doesn't even play with them. She just lays around until she calls them and lets them nurse and licks them a little. They play with each other, used the litter box on their own after I introduced it and moved their paws around in it. Mom still uses the one in the bathroom, not any of the ones I have added for the kittens. Strangely, my two year old cat has been acting like a parent to them. We call him "Uncle Buster". He has been licking them, even their butts, playing with them, laying with them, etc. I honestly think that he is going to be more influential towards them than their mom.

Mom, like I said before, was a stray. She's a sweet cat but she is different. She loves being pet, but doesn't get up with us. She has also never purred. She just lays on the floor unless she is begging for food or sprinting after us each time we stand up because she thinks we are going to the kitchen. She is actually so food obsessed that we had to move the trash to under the sink. She was knocking it over at least 10 times a day. She then would take food trash out of the can (hot dogs, bread, beef jerky) and carry it to where the kittens were and leave it there for them! She still hasn't realized that we're feeding the kittens, even though she watches them be fed, and I'm guessing that when she had her past litters outside she would bring them food scraps she found in the trash to eat. She does have unlimited dry kitten food and gets wet food at least 3 times a day as well. She also never stayed in the box with them when they were kittens. She would pop in and let them eat, lick them, and then go lay down elsewhere.

All of the kittens are great so far, though. They have been handled regularly and most of them even climb up our legs onto the couch with us when they want to go to sleep, and fall asleep on our laps. 

Will mom not playing with them or interacting much negatively effect them, even though they have each other to play with and also my other cat who interacts with them? She is honestly just a walking buffet for them. When they walk up to her and paw at her and jump at her...she just lays down and lets them nurse if they want to and doesn't really respond to them much..

EDIT: Also, based on what people have been saying, I think I will see how they are doing at 10 weeks. If any of them seem to need a bit longer, I'll keep them here for longer. Also, if they haven't completely weaned from mom yet. I know one person said 12-14 weeks is ideal, but (hate to say it) I don't think they can stay that long. and also I worry that some of the homes may fall through if they have to wait another 6 to 8 weeks...  

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
12-14 weeks is ideal, but you need to do what works for you and the cats. If they need to go at 10, and especially if they're going in pairs, they will be fine. Use your best judgment, as you clearly already are.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Honestly, the mama cat is probably completely exhausted from nursing and cleaning 8 kittens. If you are overwhelmed by 8 kittens, imagine how she feels. And you say this is likely not her first litter, which means she's probably had back to back litters, which is also exhausting. I took in a pregnant stray who had 4 kittens. She was young, and when her kittens were a few weeks old, she began leaving them with me, and would head upstairs for a long, deep nap in my bed. I figured she needed it, after all, she had been on around the clock duty for weeks! So I think the mama cat must need her sleep.

Your mama cat may always be a food hound. I've adopted strays who had clearly been deprived, and never got over running to the kitchen and wanting food, and like you, I provide food 24/7.

It's great that you have another cat to play with the kittens! They will learn manners from Uncle Buster! I agree that 10 weeks is the earliest, and 12 is even better. As Catpack mentioned, you'll know if some of them need more time. The fact you are re-homing in pairs will ease the transition for the kittens.

Are you also keeping mom along with 2 of her kittens?

You sound like a fantastic cat parent! Thank you for rescuing this mama! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Last edited:

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say it depends on the people who are adopting them. I have raised two from less than two weeks. Which is really lame considering some of the fosters here that have raised many more. 8 week old kittens are a full time job without their mother.

kawaiikitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Honestly, the mama cat is probably completely exhausted from nursing and cleaning 8 kittens. If you are overwhelmed by 8 kittens, imagine how she feels. And you say this is likely not her first litter, which means she's probably had back to back litters, which is also exhausting. I took in a pregnant stray who had 4 kittens. She was young, and when her kittens were a few weeks old, she began leaving them with me, and would head upstairs for a long, deep nap in my bed. I figured she needed it, after all, she had been on around the clock duty for weeks! So I think the mama cat must need her sleep.

Your mama cat may always be a food hound. I've adopted strays who had clearly been deprived, and never got over running to the kitchen and wanting food, and like you, I provide food 24/7.

It's great that you have another cat to play with the kittens! They will learn manners from Uncle Buster! I agree that 10 weeks is the earliest, and 12 is even better. As Catpack mentioned, you'll know if some of them need more time. The fact you are re-homing in pairs will ease the transition for the kittens.

Are you also keeping mom along with 2 of her kittens?

You sound like a fantastic cat parent! Thank you for rescuing this mama! [emoji]128522[/emoji]
I have been thinking the same thing, I can't imagine nursing 8 babies around the clock. Yes, mom is staying, and will be fixed as soon as the kittens are fully weaned. I am hoping that she will calm down a bit after they have been weaned, and after she has been here long enough to realize food will not disappear. I'm prepared for her to never completely get over it, like you said, though.

Yes, they're going in pairs because I know that is always good for them. The people who are taking them also have adult cats of their own. Hopefully if their adult cats are welcoming to the kittens, it will also help ease their transition. If they aren't welcoming, then at least they will have a litter mate with them if they need to be separated from and introduced slowly to the resident cats. 

And thank you :)

I would say it depends on the people who are adopting them. I have raised two from less than two weeks. Which is really lame considering some of the fosters here that have raised many more. 8 week old kittens are a full time job without their mother.
The homes they're going to are experienced cat owners who already have one or two kitties of their own. One of them actually raised kittens before, but the other has not. Then two of them don't have homes lined up yet. 8 week old kittens certainly are a full time job :D That's how old my 2 year old cat was when I got him. I am thinking I will be going with 10 weeks as the plan, and if there are some that appear to not be ready then I will have them wait longer before leaving.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We got our youngest cat at approximately 10 and half weeks old. She was so not ready to go, but shelters don't really want to have kittens staying for longer on their dime. She was very difficult the first week and would cry during the night. She needed to be snuggled at night and early in the morning almost every day. She was very attached to us as a young kitten. Luckily, she had our other cat to teach any manners she may have missed out on and she seems pretty well adjusted now.

I think your plan of keeping them for 10 weeks minimum with the potential of keeping them longer if they're not ready is a good idea. 

kawaiikitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! So the kittens are now 14 weeks old, or 3 1/2 months old. 5 of them have been re-homed to great homes, all people that I know. Four went in pairs and the other one went alone, but to homes with other kitties and lots of love. We have three here still, and it seems they will all be staying :eek: 

So I have a question about kitten food vs. adult food. The kittens have been eating dry grain free kitten food, unlimited, and also I give them wet food sometimes but not every day...some days they will split a large can between all four of them.  Wet is better, I know, but it gets a lot more expensive buying that many cans of high quality food and they are piggies! 

The problem is, I have an adult cat who is nearly 3 years old who is very overweight. She was overweight before the kittens came along, but was not HUGE. Since the kitten food has been available, she has been eating it and I can't manage to keep her away from it. She does not overeat, but is an anxious cat who has separation anxiety and does not like strangers (but is very lovable, vocal, and outgoing with us)...and I have read that anxiety can cause weight gain in cats and also cause them to eat for comfort. She also was found and taken to a shelter and then adopted by us at only 8 weeks old, and was not adopted with a companion, so seeing how active these kittens we have are....she never exercised nearly as much. As for eating, though, when wet food is given, she just eats about 1/8th of a can and then leaves. But she grazes and goes to the dry bowl constantly, eating small amounts. Because the kitten food has been left out 24/7 my 3 year old cat has visibly gained even more weight and it really needs to be addressed.

So...Is it too soon to switch the kittens to an adult, or "all life stages" grain free food? I know that a wet diet would be best for my overweight cat, but I figure that feeding grain free high quality dry food is better than nothing at this point. Previously she was on a dry food diet that was not grain free...   When the kittens are a bit older I may be able to do a feeding schedule with wet food rather than leaving food out, but right now leaving the food out so that the kittens and mama have free range is the best option for us. The kittens are VERY active and I believe they need access to food, they are very lean and muscular and healthy.

Also, all kittens have been to the vet for their initial visit and shots and the plan is to have them fixed around 4 months of age unless that is too early. Mama was fixed this past week, after all of the babies completely weaned.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kittens can be spayed anytime now - the sooner the better. I had the same problem with the mom of my kittens pigging out on the kitten food and gaining weight after she was spayed and quit nursing. The kittens need to stay on their kitten food for at least 6 months, and they really need wet food every day. Once I stopped using kitten chow and switched to a high protein adult dry food, my mama cat slimmed down. But I did wait the required one year, as recommended. I would not change the kittens' diet yet. They are growing quickly and need the nutrition in the kitten food. [emoji]128522[/emoji]