My Cat just had 9 kittens!!!!!!!!!!! Luna's story

lunasmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi my name is Lori

I found this site and have some questions and want suggestions on keeping all the babies healthy as well as Luna.

The kittens were norn on My 3rd all are Healthy and so is Momma!

I was told by someone on Facebook that we may have the US record of Largest living litter of kittens.. still trying to figure that out.

I am owned by Luna, vet says about 1 year old, she is a Small cat, 3 Chihuahua's, 2 Parrots 1 African grey and 1 Eclectus, and a goldfish!

My MIL lives behind us and has a 100 pound mixed breed lab, and 2 kittens from Luna's first Litter.A short 12 weeks ago!

Luna we think was dumped on our block when someone discovered her pregnancy.. she came around purring her way into our heart mostly at night, we started feeding her, it got to cold outside and well the rest is history!

We named her Luna cause she came around mostly at night and she added to the lunacy of our home..LOL!

She must of been around other small dogs because she didnt mind them at all, in fact my smallest has become her best friend and they are inseperable!

I had NO clue that Cats can go into heat as soon as 4 weeks after giving birth, we had planned to get her fixed when the first 4 born left the house. She never went far, always back within an hour or 2 and there are no male cats on our block.

I "thought" they cycle 6 mons like my Chi's!

By the time the kittens were out we noticed her fattening up and I decided to wait on spaying until I knew for sure and Yes she was prego again. I have been saying for past 3 weeks, she has to give birth any minute she was double the size last time!

I had switched her to kitten food, gave a cooked egg and chicken daily to her.

Well so long story short she had 9 kittens!

Iwas also soo happy to be home, 1st was breech, came out tail first and she was pushing for quite a while.. I hd a neighboor come over and hold her shoulders and I her hind legs during contractions until we got the kitten out.. I had to assist with that also as she was exhaused.. I knew how to help the kittens because of my chi's thank God! She also needed assistance with 2 others that came out breech.. I needed to be resutated, rubbed, dropped to clear fluids and rubbed some more!

So now I have 9 kittens.. wow I am STILL in shock 5 days later! And 1 has oped its eyes already!!! They are almost double size already, 1 is a monster. I have a pic in my gallery and will see if I can attach more here.

Ok so now.. aside from the egg, the high quality Kitten food and the chicken and the 1 can of soft food a day any other suggetions???

Nice to meet you all!

Oh where can we find out if she did indeed break a record???

Lori B

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! 

I'm not sure how to answer your questions about the kittens.  Have you explored our Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care Forum?  The folks there would be able to help I'm sure! (http://www.thecatsite.com/f/36/pregnant-cats-and-kitten-care)  There is a link to it if it helps you out.  Good luck with those babies!  And thank you for taking care of Luna and her babies!  Poor girl being dumped like that.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, my! Look at that belly! 9 kittens! That is a very large litter but I'm pretty sure it's not a record. I think the record is something like 15 or 16 (poor mama kitty!). You can probably look it up on the Guinness Book website.

Make sure to keep her in until she's spayed this time. . .last thing she needs is to get pregnant again right away after such a huge litter--I think that would be a terrible strain on her body.

Post pics every weeks so we can see them grow! We love that kind of thing around here :lol3:.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
9 is not that unheard of. Poor girl having 2 litters so close together

I would be giving her raw or canned 3 times a day, along with the dry food left out.

Make sure to weigh the kittens daily, you may need to supp feed. Kittens should also stay with their mother for 12 weeks, not sure when you let the first litter go...

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is a big litter! They are precious, I would weigh the kittens daily to make sure they are all gaining, If they are not supplementing would be necessary. I would let mom eat as much as she wants and even let her have a little kmr maybe for extra fat and calories, she needs as much as she can get to keep producing milk for that many kittens.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I had NO clue that Cats can go into heat as soon as 4 weeks after giving birth, we had planned to get her fixed when the first 4 born left the house. She never went far, always back within an hour or 2 and there are no male cats on our block.

I think there is an unwritten universal law that says that a girl on heat who leave the house will come back pregnant!  It's like magic!

The look on Luna's face (with her great big tummy) is just priceless... very 'over it'.  And her doggie mate looks like he/she expects something to pop out at any moment! 

Lots of good advice here for you.. Do keep us posted!

jenn3117

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hey.. the record for the largest litter ever is 19 but 5 were either still born or died within a day of being born. The largest living litter is 14... all kittens survived so even though 9 is HUGE its not a record. But youll definitley have your hands full!! Have fun!!! My cats about to go into labor i think. She woke me up around midnight last night meowing non stop and she is super restless, cant seem to stay in one spot for more then 3 minutes. but thats been going on for 12 hours now and still no signs of the kittens coming. Im anxiously waiting. Its my first time ever with kittens. We use to breed Labrador Retrievers but never with cats so im excited. good luck with your bunch!!!

ajbkm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is a HUGE litter! I thought my 6 was bad! I have 2 litters that total 9 (exactly 4 weeks apart to the day!) and im going crazy!!!! LOL!!!!

Good luck with your new & beautiful kittens!!!

ajbkm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
after i posted that i thought "wow that sounds bad"... In the sentence i said "i thought my 6 was bad" I didnt mean bad as in BAD but bad as in a lot, a ton, a huge number... *open mouth, stick in foot*...
That is a HUGE litter! I thought my 6 was bad! I have 2 litters that total 9 (exactly 4 weeks apart to the day!) and im going crazy!!!! LOL!!!!

Good luck with your new & beautiful kittens!!!