My Cat Just Had 6 Kittens(1st Litter) Afterbirth Attached To Cord On 4

FauxFurFreak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
please help ambelical cords and afterbirth still attached* HELP, it's been a few hours but this is her first litter she did great took care of 2 and their cords but what do I do now, the 4 are kinda tangled. Oh gosh I want to help her with them.....

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
So she’s delivered the placenta already? Then, what you need to do, is tear the amniotic sac from the kittens’ face. Then, use sterile forceps to clamp the umbilical chord about an inch from the kitten, or tie it off with dental floss. Then, use sterile scissors and cut about half an inch away from the clamp or knot, between it and the placenta.

This article explains the process in more detail: Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get some small scissors, dip them in alcohol, and then snip the cords. Take the cords and afterbirth away and throw out. The kittens should be okay. Make sure the kittens latch onto a nipple.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as your hands and fingernails are clean, you don't really need sterile forceps or scissors or anything to tie the cord. Choose a spot on the cord at least 1 inch away from the kitten's belly, and then just use your fingernails to crush and cut the cord at that spot. The cord is tough and slippery, so be aware that it may take a bit of effort. Avoid pulling on the cord where it is attached to the kitten.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fingernails actually work even better than scissors, because your fingers and nails naturally crush the end of the cord where you cut it, and then you don't need to tie it.

Also, if you have a pile of squirming kittens, it's safer to use your fingers than to use scissors... you don't want to poke anyone by mistake, and typically when I have to cut someone's cord, it's the middle of the night, I'm sleep deprived and there isn't very good lighting inside mom's nest... using my fingers, I can do the whole thing safely by touch... and I don't have to hunt around the house for the scissors first :)

Last edited: