My cat just gave birth, what to do?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wolff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
107g isn't a runt, they're all very healthy :-) Congrats!

Hopefully once she's settled she should get more used to you holding her babies, good luck with them! And yes I meant plain yogurt, no flavours or anything :-) But it's not a must, just something you can give her if she likes it, it isn't harmful for them!

Regarding the ant issue, I have the same problem (I'm in Pakistan), I find that putting the bowl of food in a shallow bowl of water helps with the ants! They drown in the water before they can reach the food :-)
Yay I'm happy thanks! They seem to be growing well and are moving around.

And yeah alright sweet :) I'll get that yogurt soon, so she can try it.

And thank you so much!! :0 my mom loves your idea and it works well! We both say thanks! And now I can keep her bowl in the room :) but she still scratches and tries to leave. She just goes and sits in the hall way and watches my room, and lays and relaxes. Is that alright? She whines a lot if I don't let her. o.o

indie-n-button

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Great! I hope they continue to improve :-)

Nice! It'll help her out and will settle her tummy, yogurts really good for her. If she doesn't like it 'lumpy' you can try watering it down with a little bit of water

I'm glad it worked! Ants can be a really big nuisance to get rid of, especially when you want to leave wet food out. They don't seem to like the kibble much, at least not the ants I have! That's a bit strange? I suppose though you can let her move around the house if you want, just be sure to keep an eye out to make sure the dogs don't go into where the kittens are, maybe Mum just wants a break from all the kittens for a little while? As long as you don't let her out of the house I think it should be alright :-)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should still weigh the kittens daily. They can fall behind quickly.

Sounds like mom needs some space. I wouldn't worry as long as the kittens are gaining and mom comes to them when they cry.

wolff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great! I hope they continue to improve :-)

Nice! It'll help her out and will settle her tummy, yogurts really good for her. If she doesn't like it 'lumpy' you can try watering it down with a little bit of water

I'm glad it worked! Ants can be a really big nuisance to get rid of, especially when you want to leave wet food out. They don't seem to like the kibble much, at least not the ants I have! That's a bit strange? I suppose though you can let her move around the house if you want, just be sure to keep an eye out to make sure the dogs don't go into where the kittens are, maybe Mum just wants a break from all the kittens for a little while? As long as you don't let her out of the house I think it should be alright :-)
Yeah thanks :) the ants here are all over our dog food even outside and it's the big red ones. So your idea helps a lot. And yeah it's weird. We don't keep wet food down, since when we do give it it's usually on a counter top and is gone within minutes lol all our cats love it :) and yeah ok. I've been watching her and making sure our dogs stays away, she's usually on it if he tries to sneak past my room to even just go into my brothers room I hear a loud hiss and it even scares me lol. But everything been fine lately, no accidents at all and the kittens are growing well. :)

wolff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You should still weigh the kittens daily. They can fall behind quickly.

Sounds like mom needs some space. I wouldn't worry as long as the kittens are gaining and mom comes to them when they cry.
Yeah I've been trying to weigh them, and they are all fine and gaining :) their all little piggies lol. And I let her out every couple hours and as soon as I open my door after a little she walks right in like she was waiting, she still rushes to their aid when she hears any cries so that's a good sign. Thanks :)

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like she doesn't want to be closed out of the room. Can you keep the door ajar for her? Mom should always be able to get to her kittens as soon as she wants.

Any news from the spay/neuter truck?

wolff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds like she doesn't want to be closed out of the room. Can you keep the door ajar for her? Mom should always be able to get to her kittens as soon as she wants.

Any news from the spay/neuter truck?
No, no news yet :/ I'll try to keep it open a crack it's just the other cats get curious and I get worried. And I have a question......one of the kittens eyes are open and I don't know if this is normal since their only like a week old.......is this normal? Their like fully open but i don't think the others are yet...he's the smallest so I hope nothing is wrong

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, they open their eyes around now at different times. Never try to force an eye open and everything should happen naturally!

And I like your idea about leaving the door slightly open. Mom should never be separated from her kittens.

Last edited:

wolff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, they open their eyes around now at different times. Never try to force an eye open and everything should happen naturally!

And I like your idea about leaving the door slightly open. Mom should never be separated from her kittens.
Thank you so much! I was a little worried about that. And yes I make sure to tell the younglings in the family not do anything like that, and nature will open them herself :) . Thanks