Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both my girls were spayed around 4 months and they haven't had any issues. I'd rather do it then than risk them getting a first heat.

I think it's important to realize we all want the same thing. That people spay and neuter their animals.

In saying that I find it easier to leave less up to interpretation, as like you say a lot of people are irresponsible.

We see them in here all the time with Oops! litters claiming they had every intention of spaying their cat.

fostersrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I completely disagree and found this a bit offensive. I have not stopped thinking for myself. There are no negative health outcomes. what you are saying is just opinion. That was all I was asking. I know many vets and work very closely in the cat community. Actually, spaying and neutering early has several health benefits.

http://friendsofanimals.org/programs/spaying-neutering/dont-delay-neuter-or-spay
https://www.petfinder.com/pro/for-shelters/pediatric-spay-neuter/

The shelter I volunteer for thinks about their cats first.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
) And by the way, there are many kittens that eat their first, it's a cycle but my kitten didn't do it? Maybe because she eats them if they don't smell like her, by the way... can I touch them?
Nay, cat moms dont eat their kittens - usually not.   The exceptions may be:   If she is verrry stressed - in pure panic and despair she may hurt her kittens.

If a kitten dies (= is dead) and she cant carry it away from her nest, or hide it safely - then she eats the body - so the decaying corpse wont hurt the other kittens.   Or  predators come to the smell...   A third variation is, a young inexperienced mother may  miss when chewing off  the cord, and chew in the kittens tummy...   But this is a pure accident.   Not common but not unheard off.

And yes, its not unusual they move the kittens.  Sometimes because they dont feel safe enough, sometimes because the old nest become smelly.  Sometimes because they fancy it.

What you describe as a quite, dark, nice corner sounds as a good beginning for them.   :)

If she knows you as a friendly person, you can touch them, dont worry.  She wont hurt them because of it. Nor abandon them.   But you must know what you do, and how to do it - respectfully.  If you are clue-less, the risk is very big you just stress her more.

And sorry for me saying it - you do sound as young and inexperienced.  You have surely lotsa of good will and well wishing, but you sound in-experienced yes.    :)

That is why its best to leave the mom alone with the kittens.   Help the mom, she will take care of the kittens.

Good luck!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

She doesn't want them going anywhere else, I thought she was going to eat them when she bit it BUUT.. she was holding it with her mouth to go behind the closet, haha.
Ah, now I understand why you keep talking about eating.  Nay, she carries them in her mouth. Its her way to transport them.   Her handling of them can look quite rough!

But as I told in another post, its unusual she actually hurts or eats them.  And if so is, there are always reasons.   So dont think on it...

Re the male run away.  Its not so bad for the moment.  A friendly male isnt not a threat, if mom and he are friends., but before he and she are neutered, its better they dont meet again.

And when he is neutered, he may be dad at least a week after too...

A she cat can get pregnant anew already about one week after delivery.  They arent not protected by having kittens to nurse - unlike human women who are somewhat protected by nursing their babies.

Status
Not open for further replies.