My cat just gave birth, but is not nursing kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abritinny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK birthing is OVER! she got kitten 4 breathing, and ate it's placenta as normal...so just no 2 was born lifeless, that was a big problem for her, she wouldn't eat it's placenta, and then totally ignored the 1st, until it ran out of the strength to cry! and it nearly cost her kitten, she's lucky she had a sister to nurse maid 4 her, altho now as I said,it'll be hard to get it back from her.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just make sure the kittens are nursing one cat or the other. It's very hard on an 8-month-old kitten to have babies and care for them, as she is still a kitten herself. Hopefully she will manage. Do you plan to spay both moms after these litters wean?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just make sure the kittens are nursing one cat or the other. It's very hard on an 8-month-old kitten to have babies and care for them, as she is still a kitten herself. Hopefully she will manage. Do you plan to spay both moms after these litters wean?
My question as well.

An 8 month old kitten is a baby having babies, she is not mature enough to properly mother them really, and should be spayed asap once kittens are done.

If there are more than 4 on one momma cat nursing, some will not be able to nurse enough to thrive and can end up dying of slowly starving.

They won't get the lower 4 prime milk sources, and the first litter is a week old too, so soon enough you will see that the newest are unable to nurse much.

abritinny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My question as well.
An 8 month old kitten is a baby having babies, she is not mature enough to properly mother them really, and should be spayed asap once kittens are done.

If there are more than 4 on one momma cat nursing, some will not be able to nurse enough to thrive and can end up dying of slowly starving.
They won't get the lower 4 prime milk sources, and the first litter is a week old too, so soon enough you will see that the newest are unable to nurse much.
Yes obv the plan is to spay her and her sis, but both were a suprise. Her sister already has 4 of her own, I'm just lucky she helped me. I Wanna return it the newborn to its Mom, Greybell, but her sis Pascha WON'T leave her nest now and hasn't moved in hours! Still nursing all 5 constantly.

abritinny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also know she needs her OWN MUM and the meconium and antibodies from her own placenta!I don't think Pascha has any now hers are 5 days old and a kitten needs it during the 1st 24-48hrs as far as I knew.
I'll have to plan this properly, then also hope n pray Greybell accepts her own 1st kitten back again.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, it's the first day that gives this, so now that the baby is stable I would put her in with her own mum :)

abritinny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's the first day that gives this, so now that the baby is stable I would put her in with her own mum :)
Yup was just doing that, as you typed I'd guess...and I was lucky that it was on top! COMPLETELY UNRECOGNIZABLE from the barely moving almost lifeless kitten I placed in her care 4 hours ago!! It was spotless, wriggling vigorously and wailing :) and as I transferred her back, Greybell sniffed her and was DELIGHTED with my gift. No 4 is suckling, but is STILL slimy and not fully cleaned? No 3 is clean, as 1 is now...) I'm still sad about no 2, but c'est la vie ...I'll be keeping a close eye on her (She's in my bedroom,) her sister who's nesting in my living room closet ;) has the towel wrapped electric blanket (on lowest) as it's not as warm over there.
Thanks for all the advice guys, despite a lot of experience (over 10 births in 25 years) this one was different and weird but that's probably because of her age.