My Cat Isn’t Taking Care Of Itself

taybing

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat seems to be worried about the kitten and forgetting her needs. She drank water and that’s it. I wanted to know if the set up and placement of everything was the reason or not ?

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Is there any way you can provide her with some Kitten Glop? There are recipes on the internet.
If she didn't like the setup, I think she'd move the kitten. She needs a break from kitten-tending, but I'm not sure how you can get her to trust you enough to let you take over, so to speak. Can you just be there, sit on the floor, talk to her, maybe play some soft gentle music?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

taybing

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She ended up moving the kitten and eating, pooping, etc.!! The concern now is how long she’s leaving the kitten for. The kitten was born at around 5 am so not even a day old!! She goes when it cries if I push her to, but there is only one that’s alive so I’m concerned it’s not going to be warm enough without the mom cuddling. The
Mom moved the kitten where we can’t see it. Under the dresser

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
fill a sock mostly with rice, heat it in the microwave test it so it isn't too hot or cover it with a washcloth so it doesn't burn the kitten and try and put that near to the kitten.
If you can't see it, get a broom handle and a flashlight and move it to where it's by the kitten.
Or, if mom's still being so resistant/reluctant, get that kitten out if you haven't already, make a little bed for it and do the sock thing.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Or put a heating pad set on low under a blanket for the kitten.

Mom should settle down more in the next day or so as her hormones relax. Moms are often nervous the first few days and will move their kittens. It’s not unusual.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you able to keep your girl 100% inside and away from intact males? You’ll want to keep her in this room with the baby most of the time for now, anyway.

How many kittens did she have?

taybing

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are you able to keep your girl 100% inside and away from intact males? You’ll want to keep her in this room with the baby most of the time for now, anyway.

How many kittens did she have?
She had one stillborn and one alive. I’m positive that she doesn’t have more in there. She’s never been outside and my dad male cat is now neutered and kept out of the room. She seems confused about what she should be doing. I made a vet appointment for tomorrow but unsure how to transport them safely

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The vet appointment will achieve nothing. No need to go. Mom wants to be left alone to care for her baby.

As I said, she will calm down soon. It’s her hormones, plus with only one baby, she’ll spend less time in the nest. As long as she’s feeding regularly, and baby is warm, all is well.

taybing

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet appointment will achieve nothing. No need to go. Mom wants to be left alone to care for her baby.

As I said, she will calm down soon. It’s her hormones, plus with only one baby, she’ll spend less time in the nest. As long as she’s feeding regularly, and baby is warm, all is well.
Okay! Thank you!! I’m just constantly worrying myself to death