My cat is walking on

ragh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took my cat to the vet for a different issue. I had to keep her there for two hours so they can take a urine test. After I took her home, I noticed that she’s not walking properly. Her left leg is limping it’s flat-footed when she’s walking(walking on her hind leg). I took her to two vets both did xrays and said everything is fine and that she’ll walk normal again in 5 weeks and it’s been more than two weeks without any difference. Anyone experienced something like this? Please help. Idk what to do.
EF9D6286-A1D9-4F2F-84BD-62A722549FF5.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The main thing is, is she eating, drinking, and using the litter box normally? If she is, then it is most likely a physical injury that will resolve in time. She more than likely injured her joint or muscles while being restrained and these things can take a while to resolve. If the x-rays should no obvious injury, that is good, it may be a tendon or muscle, even something higher up, like near her spine. it is odd there is no x-ray centered more on the leg itself, or were these for her original issue? I would make sure she stays off of it as much as possible, plenty of rest, and you might get a supplement for cats that support the joints. it couldn't hurt. Is there ANY improvement at all? Sometimes it is so slight you don't see it. Does she seem in pain? Wait the full 5 weeks and see if there is any improvement before taking her back in. stress is something she doesn't need right now either!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ragh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Thank you for your response. Yes she is eating and drinking and using the litterbox normally. She just can’t jumps high whenever she tries she falls
I’m sorry I meant the doctor said it will take 5 days to heal not 5 weeks and now it’s been 2 weeks. Yes the xrays for the original issue I’ve posted them by mistake. These are another xrays for her leg. And yes unfortunately there’s no improvement at all. But she doesn’t seem to be in pain which is good. All I’m worried about is that vets here aren’t so good and I’m afraid that there’s something I should do now before it gets worse or something you know
E5CC4266-186F-48CD-B754-03BEBE1B3CC0.jpeg

485942CE-F90C-4AA2-B56B-50507833844E.jpeg
F7A517F4-4A57-4291-8925-B5C11DBF8C92.jpeg
903ACAEE-8E0F-41EA-AFCB-4499422C1F7A.jpeg

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In some diabetic cats, walking flat on the hind leg like that is called neuropathy. Did the vet do any blood work in addition to the x rays? If not, schedule that to be done with the vet. Make sure the vet includes the fructosamine test to determine if your cat is diabetic or not. If your vet declines to do blood work and / or says your cat will walk just fine in a week or whatever, take your cat to another vet for a second opinion. Bring copies of your cat's medical records including the x rays to the new vet to review.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could just bring in the Xrays to another vet and see what they say. If it is nerve damage it will take longer to heal. If she is not hiding and seems normal otherwise, that is a good sign. Make sure she doesn't get scared and try to jump or run fast on it, keep company/friends away for a while. Keep an eye out for ANY sign of improvement, that would give you hope.

ragh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You could just bring in the Xrays to another vet and see what they say. If it is nerve damage it will take longer to heal. If she is not hiding and seems normal otherwise, that is a good sign. Make sure she doesn't get scared and try to jump or run fast on it, keep company/friends away for a while. Keep an eye out for ANY sign of improvement, that would give you hope.
Thank you so much. How can know for sure if it’s a nerve damage or not? Is there a certain test or there’s no way to know for sure?

ragh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In some diabetic cats, walking flat on the hind leg like that is called neuropathy. Did the vet do any blood work in addition to the x rays? If not, schedule that to be done with the vet. Make sure the vet includes the fructosamine test to determine if your cat is diabetic or not. If your vet declines to do blood work and / or says your cat will walk just fine in a week or whatever, take your cat to another vet for a second opinion. Bring copies of your cat's medical records including the x rays to the new vet to review.
Thank you so much. If a cat diabetic, doesn’t it happen on both legs? Or it could happen in one leg? Also it happened right after I took her from the vet so feels like they did something to her but it could be be just a coincidence so thank you! Will make the blood test to make sure.

ragh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
iCloud

New video by Raghad Alowaini

Could you guys please check this video. When she’s moving her leg to itch herself, her leg looks so weird it’s like it’s very light. Does this mean anything?
Ps: I could’t upload a vid here so made a url link hope it works

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's usually on both legs of a diabetic cat but cats can be weird sometimes 🤪 Having blood work done to rule out diabetes won't hurt and the results will be a baseline for future blood work to compare to.

X rays wouldn't show nerve damage or a tissue injury. I'm not sure how a vet would determine a nerve or tissue injury.

Can you show the video to your vet?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You couldmaybe call a vet and ask if there is any way to tell, the vet that had her when it happened should be made to be more helpful, it happened under their watch. Nerves take a long time to heal.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m definitely not a radiologist or any kind of medical professional, but I’m curious about that picture of the leg. You can clear see a ligament stretched along the upper quad, but I don’t see one for the lower hock. But there seems to be a small piece of something at the joint. Could she have essentially snapped her hamstring?
I think I’d ask for pictures from different angles.