My cat is violently attacking her tail. Need some help/insight.

Pepper12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone. My 12 year old tabby cat named Pepper is having a tough time. About a year ago- my cat started randomly growling at hissing at herself. One day I caught her violently biting and attacking her tail. I have never seen anything like it from any cat in my life. The sounds she was making was the same as a cat who met a rival on the street. Loud and scary. It was almost like a seizure. I took her to the vet soon afterwards. I initially thought it could be ringworm- but wasn't sure. She tested negative for ringworm and the vet gave me some Gabapentin to calm her down. As many of you know- a cat isn't like some Labrador that would most likely wolf down a medication you hid in their food. Pepper wasn't having it. Literally. Each time I tried giving her the medication- I seemed to only upset her more. Since then- my vet has also given me Fluoxetine. 2 types. One for an ear swab and one for her food. She hated both. Finally a few months ago I had some x-rays done on Pepper and the vet told me that he thought she had a pinched nerve in her back. -Since she couldn't reach her back- she would bite her tail. In theory. I found that one treatment that gave her some relief was Rescue Remedy. It was the one thing I would place in her food that she would eat. Lately- the rescue remedy isn't working. The vet recommended acupuncture for her but that seems ridiculous. I have never heard about a cat receiving this treatment. My cat's quality of life is miserable. She pee's herself after her attacks and she is always hissing at herself. I dread being home because I am now afraid of my own cat. I can't let her sleep in my room because she can have an attack in the middle of the night. To me- her attacks are always frighting. As her Dad I feel guilty that I don't seem to be helping and I have to wonder if this is the end for her. I would appreciate any insight if anyone has had remotely anything close to this experience. Thank you.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Acupuncture can be done in pets. It's mostly done by holistic vets than regular vets. Here's some info:

It sounds like your cat may have a condition called feline hyperthesia. Here's info on that which you can discuss with your vet:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pepper12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello
Is your vet a cat only clinic?

Is it possible it's this?
Feline Hyperesthesia – TheCatSite Articles
Feline Hyperethesia was the first result of a Google search I had for Pepper back when these symptoms started. I asked the vet about FHS and the vet told me that it was extremely rare. From what I understand- the treatment for FHS is limited. Mostly drugs were administered to cats with FHS to suppress the episodes.
The vet clinic I go to is not a cat only office. I live in a small town and the proximity to the Vet is important because Pepper hates her carrier. Sedated or not.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you try a calming spray on the carrier and the car seat it's going to be placed on, and also covering the carrier with a light towel or blanket?

Does your vet have an acupuncturist who comes to the clinic?

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Would getting a second opinion be an option? Do you have these episodes on video? I'm wondering if you could contact a cats only vet, show them some videos, and work with them remotely. I had a cat with FHS. It was brutal and during an episode it did sound like a serious cat fight you'd hear on the street. The only way he would calm down is if I got him into a dark, silent room and shut him in. He did get acupuncture, and it did help. But if she hates her carrier and stresses out at the vets.....
JMO but I would be really irritated with a vet who blew off the idea of FHS as being "too rare" when she sounds like a textbook case, but wanted to treat my cat for possible ringworm instead. I've never seen anything with ringworm act like you describe. :(

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Edit: I know the vet said FHS was "rare" but it wasn't them who described it as ringworm, apologies for that mix up!

Pepper12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Would getting a second opinion be an option? Do you have these episodes on video? I'm wondering if you could contact a cats only vet, show them some videos, and work with them remotely. I had a cat with FHS. It was brutal and during an episode it did sound like a serious cat fight you'd hear on the street. The only way he would calm down is if I got him into a dark, silent room and shut him in. He did get acupuncture, and it did help. But if she hates her carrier and stresses out at the vets.....
JMO but I would be really irritated with a vet who blew off the idea of FHS as being "too rare" when she sounds like a textbook case, but wanted to treat my cat for possible ringworm instead. I've never seen anything with ringworm act like you describe. :(
I have to admit I am a coward when Pepper has one of her episodes. It's painful to watch and during- I can't imagine taking video of her when she's chasing her tail. But i'll try. I have video and pictures of the aftermath. -The trails of blood she leaves on the floor or rug.
In terms of the second opinion I have contacted a couple other vets in my area. 2 of them weren't accepting new patients because they were short staffed. (Massachusetts) I'll keep trying. This situation is untenable.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have to admit I am a coward when Pepper has one of her episodes. It's painful to watch and during- I can't imagine taking video of her when she's chasing her tail. But i'll try. I have video and pictures of the aftermath. -The trails of blood she leaves on the floor or rug.
In terms of the second opinion I have contacted a couple other vets in my area. 2 of them weren't accepting new patients because they were short staffed. (Massachusetts) I'll keep trying. This situation is untenable.
It's so frustrating because you want to help, and the blood is upsetting. Remind yourself if you can video her, you'll show it to your vet and never ever have to watch it again if you don't want to. I've been taking some gnarly pictures of my dogs lesions (he has cancer) for 2 months, and he went through a period he looked like a leper. I didn't want to take those photos but I'm glad I did because now I can compare and see how much better he is looking. And finding a vet that can take on new clients is very difficult, they're really over worked and short staffed right now :(

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I thought maybe you could look through some previous posts about feline hyperesthesia, to see what steps others took to help their cats. This link will also tell you that it would seem hyperesthesia might not be as rare as your vet thinks. But I do think some vets consider it as possibly rare, mostly because there is no absolute way to diagnose it.
Search Results for Query: hyperesthesia | TheCatSite

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have contacted a couple other vets in my area. 2 of them weren't accepting new patients because they were short staffed. (Massachusetts) I'll keep trying.

If you otherwise like the current vet, ask if he / she can consult wit a veterinary school or other vet hospital for more ideas on what your cat's health issue is and to get more info about hyperthesia. Your vet must be familiar with Tufts Veterinary School and Angell Animal Medical Center. You don't necessarily need to find a new vet. Your current vet can work with the other vet to come up with a plan on diagnosing and treating your cat.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Absolutely try to get a video, despite it being hard to do. I am assuming that Pepper did not have an episode in the vet's office (as they never do), so the vet was dependent on his interpretation of what you described.

Can you "snap" her out of the episode by touching her with a safe object, like a washcloth wrapped on the end of a cat wand type toy?

My Chelsea had FSH and it was her tail that she seemingly thought was the enemy and which she attacked. It started as she it about 8 years old. My personal opinion, based on my own experiences with other cat owners, is that it is not that rare a condition.

If a pinched nerve is at the root of this, was acupuncture the only suggestion? I have used acupuncture with my pets; however, I do see your point about transporting and medicating Pepper.

Have you ever tried a compounding pharmacy like Wedgewood?

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
From the sound of things it’s worth trying something as she doesn’t sound happy! Laser therapy can also be an option. What concerns me also is the price of any of this…do you have any kind of insurance or did your vet give you an estimate? Daftcat has posted somewhere a very thorough list of different insurance companies & what they charge.

Pepper12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
From the sound of things it’s worth trying something as she doesn’t sound happy! Laser therapy can also be an option. What concerns me also is the price of any of this…do you have any kind of insurance or did your vet give you an estimate? Daftcat has posted somewhere a very thorough list of different insurance companies & what they charge.
I do not have insurance for my kitty. For whatever reason- it never occurred to me to acquire pet insurance before. Big mistake. The vet visits and medications over the past year have been in the thousands.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat had accupuncture and it actually helped her for a while. She had cancer, cancer surgery, and chemo but then got some intestinal issue they couldn't figure out what it was. She perked up after the accupucture treatments.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's been years since I've had acupuncture done on mine, but I remember one of mine had a back problem and we did needles all up and down either side of the spine. Most of the needles fell out within 10 minutes, but the needles in the problem spot were there for almost 2 hours before they fell out on their own!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Insurance won't help here. The problem with insurance is that you need to have your cat insured before she needs insurance. If you wait for something to come up, that's too late. Anything that your cat has seen a vet for in the last twelve months can and likely will become a pre-existing condition for policy exclusions. It's even worse than that. I got my Betty White on a Tuesday. She saw the vet on a Saturday, and I signed her up for insurance on Monday. We made it the two weeks policy waiting period, and then bam! Wouldn't you know it? She swallowed a foreign body and we rush down the urgent care. Well, we made it the two weeks so that visit was covered. However. I guess I mentioned in the case notes that she had thrown up once or twice the week before. Insurance saw that in the visit notes for the urgent care and decided that she is a vomiting cat and anything related to vomiting will be excluded including all the IBD diagnostics and visits that I was really hoping to have insurance for this time around. I got Krista, my previous cat, insured the last possible week they would take her (the week before her thirteenth birthday, their cutoff for new customers.) I had to take the policy with her IBD already excluded. That's not to say that insurance isn't worth it. Both cats have managed to rack up enough reimbursable bills not related to their exclusions to pay for their premiums many times over. But I just won't get help for any of their IBD bills; the majority of their vet expenses.

Insurance is worth looking into anyway. It just won't cover anything she's already seen a vet for, and in some cases, anything you've discussed with your vet about in the prior twelve months.