My cat is very attached to me

Leelee24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got this female cat when she was about 2 years old and I already had a male cat at that time but the male cat would fight her every time he would see her and I would protect her from him but I got tired of seeing her being bullied all the time so I gave her to my mother in law (lives right up the road from me) sadly my male cat dies in June 2020 by a snake bite. My mother in law gives me the cat back. Now she is very attached to me. She will sleep with me every night and if I leave she walks around the house and meows like she's crying. If I go to bathroom she is right behind me and when I set on the toilet she jumps on my lap. I love her more than anything but I don't want her to have anxiety problems. One more thing I want to add, after I got her back I left for a couple of days and my boyfriend said she cried the whole time I was gone. This cat is a Siamese cat too, if that matters to anything

Attachments

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
She is beautiful. Some cats are just more dramatic and vocal about things. That doesn’t necessarily mean she is anxious, just expressing her opinion and of course loving you madly. The middle of the night meowing is also something many cats do for unknown reasons. I call it “singing the song of their people” and they seem to prefer it at 2:00 am.

I would make sure your girl has plenty of things to stimulate her like a window view and birds, puzzle type toys and high places to jump. I find switching out and rotating toys also helps them keep playing and entertaining themselves. These don’t need to be expensive - a sheet of tissue paper or A cardboard box and keep a cat playing for hours.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you can't be with her, perhaps you can give her a piece of your laundry that smells like you to comfort her while you are away.

I would also look into Home | Music for Cats | David Teie which is available on all the major streaming services. I calmed down a stray that was singing his captivity song in a pen by playing Music For Cats for him. 😻 I also put it on an ipod for my own cat every time she went to the vet. I would tell the staff that she's probably their only patient who comes with her own soundtrack. 😹 It's probably no coincidence that when I figured out how to get the soundbar to play her "cat rock" daily, the bench in front of the soundbar became her new favorite resting spot. 😻
IMG_3645.JPG

Last edited:

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Leelee24! Your cat is lovely. I was saddened to hear about your male cat dying from a venomous snake bite! I hope you're keeping your girl indoors.

BellaGooch asked a very pertinent question when it comes to vocal females. Has she been spayed?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I got this female cat when she was about 2 years old and I already had a male cat at that time but the male cat would fight her every time he would see her and I would protect her from him but I got tired of seeing her being bullied all the time so I gave her to my mother in law (lives right up the road from me) sadly my male cat dies in June 2020 by a snake bite. My mother in law gives me the cat back. Now she is very attached to me. She will sleep with me every night and if I leave she walks around the house and meows like she's crying. If I go to bathroom she is right behind me and when I set on the toilet she jumps on my lap. I love her more than anything but I don't want her to have anxiety problems. One more thing I want to add, after I got her back I left for a couple of days and my boyfriend said she cried the whole time I was gone. This cat is a Siamese cat too, if that matters to anything
When I rescued Coco she would jump up and down when I went to bed. Then wrap her body around my neck then crawl down and chew on my bracelet or kneed her paws on me. It lasted a month. So give your cat time to adjust. Also, spaying is very important

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohhhhhhh yeah hee being siamese has something to do with it! 🤣 She looks precious! You are so lucky to have the love of a meezer!

So first question, how long was she gone at your MIL’s house? The poor dear! Siamese get very attached to just their human(s) and no one else! It took poor Jackie 6 months to be comfortable in a room while I was somewhere else in the apartment after his failed adoption of two weeks. So basically you need to convince her it is safe to let you out of her sight. Keep in mind Jackie was 11 weeks old when he was adopted and he was returned a. Opulent of weeks later. So her trauma is going to take a lot longer to heal.

Her talking? Well talking back to my talker helps shut him up quicker. I talk to Jackie all the time. However you can train her to meow quietly. How? 1 over respond to the slightest, softest meow for a few months. If she does a loud meow tell her your word (quiet or shush or softer) and then staunchly ignore her gor 5 minutes. Really ignore her. Refuse to even look at her and walk out of the room.

Work on encouraging her to be away from you. How? Well try putting tempting toys or treats in another room then walk away to another room. Start with trying for just a minute or two. When she does, just calmly go about your business ignoring her. I did a happy dance inside the first time Jackie felt safe enough to go into the bathroom without me for a couple of minutes. Now he goes into the bedroom for an hour or two every day by himself. He also hangs out in the same room as me but not on me more often.

Has you can see my boy is only 1/2 siamese. He is very attached to his mom since I fostered him since he was 4 weeks old.

968C0671-BD9E-4639-B02C-054C85CE5793.jpeg

JamesBrown89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good afternoon, a very sad story, I hope that today everything will be fine with your ****! I know that my husband went with the cat to a psychologist and this psychologist helped us a lot then, since the cat was very attached to my husband

Britney91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good afternoon, a very sad story, I hope that today everything will be fine with your ****! I know that my husband went with the cat to a psychologist and this psychologist helped us a lot then, since the cat was very attached to my husband
What word is censored there haha?