My Cat is turning on me!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jetter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by PreciousKitty

Hi, I'm new to the this forum. But after reading your problem with your cat it sounded exactly like mine. Please have her checked by a vet for Hyperesthesia Syndrome or Rolling Skin Disease. It is a neurological disorder that can cause these sudden violent attacks. My Precious girl has this. Good Luck
Precious Kitty
Thanks for the info. I have never heard of this but I read somewhere that cats are just as prone to get Bipolar and schitzophrenia (??sp) as humans. I thought she may be a bit Bipolar but after reading your post there is definetly something to check into. How do they test for it? Is is expensive? My 2nd opinion vet said that I could have them do x-rays but that they are expensive and then she said that she can put her on prozac. I don't wanna put my cat on Prozac. I really love my kitty and to me, I will pay whatever is needed to see if she is alright; however, my bank account couldn't disagree more. So I'm kinda stuck at how much I can spend on tests. Right now though, she is her usual self. She is laying right beside me as normal but yesterday she was a pill! I don't think I can give her up, we're too close and I love her very much, I just want her to be ok. Thank you and everyone for all the advice and I am definetly looking into Hyperesthesia Syndrome or Rolling Skin Disease. One questoin though, was your kitty able to be helped with medicine?

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jetter

I don't wanna put my cat on Prozac. I really love my kitty and to me, I will pay whatever is needed to see if she is alright; however, my bank account couldn't disagree more.
Perhaps the vet can suggest a "cheaper" or generic Prozac-type medication.

preciouskitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have just recently started my Precious on medication. It's only been a week and from what I am told it could take about a month to show results. I was also told by my vet that we may have to try different meds to find the best one for her. I am just learning about this disease. I do know that there is no cure. We can only treat her symptons to make her feel more comfortable.

I have a question to all of you out there. Does any one know if Hyperesthesia Syndrome is a progressive disease? Will she get worse even if she is on medication? I don't know how long Precious has had this. I adopted her April of last year from a shelter. She is a neutered 4 year old female with all her claws. I almost immediatly noticed her rolling skin, but up until recently I had no idea it was associated with a disease. I came across Hyperesthesia in my search for help with her violent attacks and aggressive behavior.

She is the sweetest girl and then without warning she turns on me and rips my legs, arms and face, biting and clawing at whatever she can reach. I wish I could trim her claws but she is too aggressive. Knowing she is sick has helped me to except her actions somewhat. I love her so much!

cflynt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't allow my cats to attack me. Period. I am respectful
of them, I watch the signs and don't push -- but my job is to
take care of them, and if I need to medicate or otherwise care
for them, they cannot be allowed to prevent me from doing that.
It's all part of the relationship and that means I need to stop
aggressive behavior.

All that said, Jetter there is something wrong, since the behavior is
a change. I don't have any good suggestions, but do work with your
vet on this!

Good luck,

Carol

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If she's been around your bf for 3+ years this obviously isn't something new with him.

Is there a chance this kitty (being a barn cat) is the result of inbreeding and may have mental problems? I honestly don't think she's attacking to be mean but more because she somehow feels threatened.

felicia's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Felicia was like this when I first bought her home. She hated me and Shadow(an older cat I had at the time).
After Shadow died, Felicia was alone all day while I was at work. Except for feeding her, I ignored her. One day when I came home, she was waiting for me at the door. I think she realized that I fed her so she should be nice to me.
Your cat is probably an alpha cat. Felicia is and there are still things I can't do to her.