My cat is too thin???

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She may be in the teenage stage and will fill out in another year or so. At 7.5 lbs she sounds right to me. Looks like a nice blue tabby - very pretty. She may fill out and go 8-9 lbs when done growing.

IMO its better for them to be on the lean side then to be too fat - you can always put on some weight, but hard to take it off. I'd have her checked for worms by your vet to be sure that's not part of the problem.

You can put the indoor cats on a 2 or 3 yr schedule for vaccines now.

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's hard for me to judge her body proportions in the pictures...and, that needs to be evaluated. Her face/neck show no signs of "skinniness".

Here's a video which may help you judge for yourself.

Some points when doing your own exam:
1. Place both hands, palm down, lightly on your cat's ribs. You should be able to feel the ribs, but they shouldn't be sticking out
2. Stand above your cat and check her waist - pets at the proper weight should have a visible indentation behind their ribs.
3. Look at your cat's stomach - a cat that is the correct weight should have good firm muscles and not a wobbly tummy.
4. Examine your cat's face - a cat that is overweight will look fat in the face and may have a double chin.
http://www.petsgetslim.co.uk/weight_check/

Here's much more detailed information to help.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gorgeous cat

Originally Posted by BLAISE

Look at your cat's stomach - a cat that is the correct weight should have good firm muscles and not a wobbly tummy.
Often desexed cats will be the perfect weight/condition but still have a bit of wobble in the tummy area, usually referred to as 'spay sway' but it occurs in males too.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i don't know the law for NY, but in Texas, rabies vaccines are required every year... if the cat visits the vet, it would be hard for me not to get at least that one. i actually get everything. that way, should i happen to bring home a stray [this has already happened 3 times, after all!] i don't have to be as concerned about my current ones catching anything lethal.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did the first round of vaccines for my cats but do anymore after that. They are indoor only. My vet is a holistic vet who comes highly recommended and discouraged vaccines. I am ok with it. We go for a yearly and that is it. I live in a low flea zone so I barely do that either.
My cats are all slender but I don't free feed them either.

Maybe try getting her on a feeding schedule just to see how much she eats in total.
Just like people some cats are slender and some lean toward chubby with all different appetites.
My jokester Seldon is always on the go so is thinner than the others. I usually give him a mini meal just to make sure he is eating enough. But they are on a schedule.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She looks perfect to me
Feline obesity is so common we are used to seeing cats that are a bit overweight, and sometimes people will see a cat who is a good weight and it looks too thin compared to what they are used to - but to me she looks great. They are supposed to have a bit of a waist, a dip before the hind quarters. I have 2 Orientals and a Cornish Rex/moggy cross and they are all slender cats. If she has plenty of energy it all sounds fine

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that rabies is required so you might want to consider that one. But I am with you on the rest of them. I vaccinate the cat once as an adult and that's it. They don't receive any more after that. I believe that many vaccines are good for years after they are given and it is ridiculous to revaccinate any living thing every single year, even every other year.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat (senior cat) is also too thin... I am not sure what to do to get her to gain weight because the vet said not to give high protein food. She went through a phase where she refused to eat a while ago, and had to take anorexia medication but now she is eating well but is still too skinny. They did bloodwork and everything and did not find any causes. She is 10 pounds now, and she is at least 2 pounds underweight...