My cat is too destructive!

sidliz31

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is destroying furniture, sheets, walls and cabinets. I have tried everything and I'm running out of options. I have many scratching posts for him which he used often. When he started to claw the furniture I sprinkled cat nip on the posts which was appealing to him for awhile but he continued to claw at the furniture and began doing it to my sheets. I then happened to buy a very sturdy rug that he began to love to claw and for awhile I thought I had found a solution to the problem but now he is clawing the walls and cabinets. He has ripped some of the paint off the walls and is leaving marks in the cabinets.  I rent so it's very concerning because our house does not belong to me. I thought maybe there was a mouse in the walls but I have heard nothing and don't think that is a factor. I have tried sprays, trimming his claws, a spray bottle, covering furniture, nail caps and some tape I found at Pets Mart. Nothing worked!!!! I understand this is a natural behavior for cats but It has to stop. If anyone has any other ideas I need them badly!! Thank you!!

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My first question for you is, is he neutered?

Not that this is unfixed cat behavior, however neutering def. has a calming effect.

I am not fond of cats being outdoors, it's pretty dangerous with streets/cars, other cats, and so on, but my daughter had a cat the same way as yours, after dealing with his trashing everything, I finally advised her to allow him outside.

Problem solved. He is the best cat ever now.

Of course he MUST be neutered first.

They do administer low dosed drugs too, not that I recommend it, but it's something you may consider discussing with your vet.

Some cats are very high strung, he sounds bored.

Ever consider getting him a playmate? Probably sounds like double trouble, but it may very well occupy him with wrestlemania all day type things, and wear them both out.

Just be very choosy with who you choose for him. He should def. be young and spunky!

jmljml19

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
try cleaning the areas where he scratches cause he's leaving behind scents that tell him to keep scratching in those places. then maybe put some tin foil in those places since they don't like the feel of it. or try Feliway, either the diffuser or spray, it might help him settle down some, and then preoccupy him with some fun toys :) hope it works out for you guys

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sidliz31

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

My first question for you is, is he neutered?

Not that this is unfixed cat behavior, however neutering def. has a calming effect.

I am not fond of cats being outdoors, it's pretty dangerous with streets/cars, other cats, and so on, but my daughter had a cat the same way as yours, after dealing with his trashing everything, I finally advised her to allow him outside.

Problem solved. He is the best cat ever now.

Of course he MUST be neutered first.

They do administer low dosed drugs too, not that I recommend it, but it's something you may consider discussing with your vet.

Some cats are very high strung, he sounds bored.

Ever consider getting him a playmate? Probably sounds like double trouble, but it may very well occupy him with wrestlemania all day type things, and wear them both out.

Just be very choosy with who you choose for him. He should def. be young and spunky!
He is neutered but I can't allow him outside. He is allergic to flea bites and I living in the city it would be way to dangerous for him. He could be bored but has two playmates that keep him very busy. I noticed he sometimes scratches stuff when playing with the other two. Could it be possible that he does it when he's just really excited? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sidliz31

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

try cleaning the areas where he scratches cause he's leaving behind scents that tell him to keep scratching in those places. then maybe put some tin foil in those places since they don't like the feel of it. or try Feliway, either the diffuser or spray, it might help him settle down some, and then preoccupy him with some fun toys :) hope it works out for you guys
Good tips! Thank you! I have used the sprays which haven't worked. I'm using the tin foil like you suggested. I used tape to attach it to the furniture so it wouldn't fall off but my silly cats keep rubbing against it because its something new and licking the tape. I have a feeling it will eventually fall off but I'm hoping for the best. Thanks again!