My cat is supposed to give birth, but I think she is in heat???

sylvie000

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I was supposed to get my cat spayed back in October, but due to some issues the vet wouldn't do it. By the time the vet finally confirmed that I can get her spayed, she was already supposedly pregnant and appointments were not open for at least another 4 weeks. So I decided to just wait it out until after she gives birth and then spay her.
So here's how it all has been going. I saw her mate with my recently neutered male cat a few times. I know the neighbors have an intact male, but I actually havent seen him around for a few months now and I didn't see him show up while my cat was in heat, so I have no idea if he is still around or not. So idk if the neighbors cat mated with her or not. I just assumed that she got pregnant though because my male cat was only a few weeks neutered so he could still get her pregnant.
After mating she went out of heat and since then has been acting totally pregnant. Her appetite went down sometimes, she started looking for nesting places, and she become super hormonal and moody and being uncharacteristically super mean to my other cats. However, her stomach didn't grow. I didn't discount that though because I know sometimes they can have small litters. She has given birth once before to 5 babies, but this time I was guessing that since my male cat was just neutered and she was being mated a lot less, I was thinking that she probably only actually conceived one, or a maximum of two kittens. Now in the last week, it does seem like her stomach got the tiniest bit bigger than before, but not noticeable enough to look like she is pregnant.
Anyways, she is supposed to give birth now. Like literally today or tomorrow, but based on the cat pregnancy calculators, it's possible it could take until the end of december. BUT, here's what has completely thrown me off... She is acting like she is in heat! Yesterday evening I thought I heard her yowling, so I went over to her and I thought she stuck her butt up at me, but wasn't completely sure. Then this morning I thought I heard her yowling again and when I went to her she was being super cuddly and rubbing herself all over the ground exactly like she did when she was previously in heat. The good news is that now I'm in a situation where I can keep her separated from males so she won't get pregnant if she IS in heat, but I'm super confused now about if she is even pregnant at all. She is supposed to give birth any time now. My vets appointment schedule for the next month just opened up so it might be possible that I can get her spayed sometime in the next week, but I'm also not sure if I should do it because she is technically supposed to give birth any day now. I don't want to go in to get her spayed now and turn out that there is a fully formed, ready-to-be-born kitten inside of her. Like I said, she doesn't look pregnant so idk what to think here. If she is supposed to give birth any day now, is it possible for her to go into heat? Or is her being in heat now a 100% sure sign that she is not pregnant?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She may be preg anyway, although seems in heat. Held her inside, wait it out. If no birth comes (perhaps a false pregnancy?), then you can get a spaying appointment for her.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So, it COULD be a false pregnancy, and now its over. But she can be preg anyways. Its not unususual if there is a tom around, he wants to mate a high preg. So apparently can high pregs behave alike in heat...

If you expect delivery in a few days at most, you can get a time for spaying in say two weeks.
If she deliver, you simply cancel the spaying time... The vet has surely a queue just happy to come in.

If she doenst deliver, you go to the spaying session when her heat is over.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sylvie000

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmm okay. I've been checking up on her these past few hours and she is yowling a lot and rubbing herself on everything. She definitely sounds like she is in heat, but last time she gave birth, she went into labor at night so I didn't get to see what her behavior was like when she was in labor. So idk if it's just strange labor behavior or her regular in-heat behavior.
I'll take your advice though and just schedule an appointment for her in a few weeks. Im getting my other kitten spayed in 3 weeks so I'll just schedule an appointment for her for the same day too, and if she gives birth i'll reschedule it for later.

jaimeet11

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmm okay. I've been checking up on her these past few hours and she is yowling a lot and rubbing herself on everything. She definitely sounds like she is in heat, but last time she gave birth, she went into labor at night so I didn't get to see what her behavior was like when she was in labor. So idk if it's just strange labor behavior or her regular in-heat behavior.
I'll take your advice though and just schedule an appointment for her in a few weeks. Im getting my other kitten spayed in 3 weeks so I'll just schedule an appointment for her for the same day too, and if she gives birth i'll reschedule it for later.
Oh and btw, please until u are sure she is not preg, PLEASE do not have her spayed . It would harm the new life 😬

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she is pregnant and you decide to wait to spay her, ask your vet how much a C-section is in case you need to get the money together in a hurry. Vets won't work for free and if a C-section is needed the alternative, is death, a bad death, for the kittens and your cat.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, this is an old thread, a month ago and they havent updated us on what actually happened. I hope everything worked out!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sylvie000

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She did not give birth. Vet said it was either a false pregnancy or miscarriage