My cat is suffering from discharge and trouble peeing and isn’t getting better?

Chynadye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! My cat (female) is around 6 years old, and unspayed (she’s on a waitlist to get spayed but it’s 1+ year in my area) and 9 days ago i woke up and noticed she had a lot of white discharge coming out and was straining to pee. Took her to the vet immediately and she had a fever, they did ultrasounds,xrays, urinalysis. They found out it wasnt pyometra and she had so stones. Sent us home with 2 weeks of antibiotics and 3 days of anti inflammatorys and told us it was just a uti. After taking medicine she seemed immediately better and stayed that way for 5 days. Then she got discharge again for about 3-5 hours. Then all better again. Now it’s like every other day she’s getting symptoms for a few hours then going back to normal. I still have a few days left of antibiotics but this vet trip alone was $700 and i really don’t have the money to keep going back. Has anyone heard of this and any ideas of how to treat it??

hybriseris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The white discharge, is it possibly coming from her bum? When cats have anal gland infections it can cause a white looking discharge.

I totally understand the price of the vet, but I think it's worth calling to ask for the vet to call you back to discuss alternatives and possibilities over the phone! She's on antibiotics and you've done all the right things, so the ball is in their court.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree. At the very least, call the vet and ask for advice. Remind them that you did just bring her in for what appears to be the same problem, so if it is something like needing a longer period of antibiotics, they may let you have them without any other visits or diagnostics.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just make sure they were able to also rule out vaginosis/vaginitis (not the same thing as pyometra but can precede it) - just in case the antibiotic would be different from whatever they prescribed for a UTI. The random, but recurring, discharge doesn't seem like it is being properly treated after this long on an antibiotic. Also, ask the vet if it would be of any benefit to take in a sample of the discharge - and, ask how to 'store/preserve' it before taking it in to them.

You didn't say what showed up on the urinalysis, or if they proceeded to do a urine culture. How is she peeing now?