My Cat Is Still Very Small, After Two Years.

spookysmom234

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got my kitten Salem two years ago in July. She was very small then but that was expected because she was weeks old. Now after two years I’m worried she may be too small for a cat her age. The last time I took her to the vet they determined she was healthy, but I’m still worried as that was earlier this year and her size hasn’t changed
I’ll leave some pictures here for you all to see so I know whether or not to take her back to the vet.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! I can't tell if it's the perspective of the pictures, but is it her front legs seeming a little out of proportion that is your concern?

Otherwise she looks fine, and if the vet says she's healthy (did they run blood tests?) and she's moving, jumping, playing, and eating and pooping as well as drinking lots of water - do you have a pet fountain?, then, although I'm not a vet, she is probably really is just fine :)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If, as Furballsmom Furballsmom says, she is acting normally in all ways, I agree. She is almost certainly just fine. She may simply be a small cat. That happens. I've seen the occasional adult cat that still looked much like a younger kitten, size-wise. Dwarfism occurs in cats, as well as humans, and for much the same reasons. She should live a long, healthy life with few issues, if that's the case.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a small cat too. She looks like a 9 month old kitten but she's actually quite old.

I agree with Furballsmom Furballsmom . If the vet says everything is alright and your cat is acting normally, she's probably just a small girl. Cat's skeletal structure can vary in size depending on their genes.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
If it were me I'd be the most concerned about her health, not her size, although I understand your worry. Is she up to date on her vaccines? I've also met many cats that were smaller in stature but perfectly healthy. I'm guessing this is the case with her as well. BTW, Salem is adorable. :cutecat:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Perspective is everything. How small is small?

My girl is four and a half and still is small, usually 7-7.5 pounds and fits comfortably in the small cat carrier with room to stand. Little head, huge eyes, short legs. We recently had a vet appointment where the vet commented “she may grow some more, she’s still young.” When I reminded the vet she was four and probably done, the vet did a double take on her chart.

In Rockets case, pretty sure she had malnutrition from her Mom abandoning the litter when they were about five weeks old. An older male in their feral colony took over supervision but the colony was also fed Generic supermarkets version nine lives kibble (Rockets first poop at my house looked like neon orange chalk). She didn’t get proper nutrition until she was dropped off with me at about 3 months old. You can see how small she is compared to Link (granted Link is double her weight and abnormally long so it just exaggerates it more).

Rocket just had a full body X-ray, complete blood panel, contagious illness and cognitive exams. Perfectly 100% healthy and much healthier then other fours years the vet has seen. She’s just small. Size doesn’t matter, health does.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats, Pepsi, is also small. He is already around two years of age but has not grown as much as other cats his age. The vet told us before that he has this dwarfism condition. But aside from that, he is one healthy, happy fella.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat patches is the smallest cat I've ever had,But he's healthy and happy cat's are like us I'm 4ft11 my hubby is 6ft3:thumbsup:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Then we'll just assume she's part fairie, and enjoy her petite little self!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Small how, like underweight or simply a small cat? I know quite a few people with 5-6 pound adult females, it's a normal enough size for a cat to be.
:wave3:

Lilith is 5.5 pounds. Sophie is 6 pounds. They are fully grown and very healthy. They are just naturally small.