My cat is skinny

Dewbug95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is a grey tabby. She has always been skinny since we got her. She probably weighs no more than 5 pounds and she's almost a year old next month. She does go into heat a lot. I was wondering if maybe her going into heat is contributing to her being so skinny. Can anyone possibly shed any light on this? Please. Feed back is most welcomed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dewbug95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are you getting her spayed? She’s past due for it and repeated heats are very bad for cats’ health.
How is it bad for her health? And yes I plan on it soon. But I am curious how it is bad for her health I honestly don't know

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m very glad to hear you’re getting her spayed! A cat going into heat repeatedly is horrible for her - among other things, it greatly increases her chances of getting breast cancer. There’s an article here about these things:

As to her skinniness, how thin is she? Does she have any other problems, like diarrhoea or vomiting? I’m not making any diagnoses (I couldn’t even if I was a vet), I am just reminded of my Phoebe, who didn’t put on any weight when I got her, and after much investigation by our vet proved to have what’s probably a mild form of IBD.

But in any case, you would be best to ask your vet about your kitty’s weight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dewbug95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m very glad to hear you’re getting her spayed! A cat going into heat repeatedly is horrible for her - among other things, it greatly increases her chances of getting breast cancer. There’s an article here about these things:

[/URL]

As to her skinniness, how thin is she? Does she have any other problems, like diarrhoea or vomiting? I’m not making any diagnoses (I couldn’t even if I was a vet), I am just reminded of my Phoebe, who didn’t put on any weight when I got her, and after much investigation by our vet proved to have what’s probably a mild form of IBD.

But in any case, you would be best to ask your vet about your kitty’s weight.
So what do you do if it's ibd and she's quit skinny

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She doesn’t look skinny to me in that photo (I had to look at the thumbnail, the picture is too big for my stupid tablet to cope with!). Do her ribs or spine or hips stick out?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She looks fine to me. A skinny cat is a totally different thing.
Keeps in mind that your cat is still young. Young cats are often thinner that older cats, because their metabolism is very active, they burn a lot of energy.
Furthermore your cat hasn't been spayed yet. She'll get a little rounder when she's spayed.

Not spaying a cat is harmful for their health. Physical and psychological distress, breast cancers, possible pyometra and other infections or issues of her ovaries and uterus.