My cat is scratching and howling after Revolution Plus dose

scoochmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

My girl Moosh went to the vet today and was diagnosed with fleas. How she got them, I have no idea, since she has been indoors for her entire 18 years.

So, the vet gave her a dose of the Revolution Plus medication on the back of her neck and said she needs two more doses over the next three months to kill the fleas.

Since we came home, she has been scratching and meowing more than usual and I'm wondering if this is a side effect of the medication and if it will subside with time.

Thanks for any of your insights!

jmichaelp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Rev+ site says it starts killing fleas w/in 6 hours. The fleas are probably running all over her, biting, etc. as the med takes effect, which is causing temporary discomfort. I had a similar experience with Capstar.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scoochmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Rev+ site says it starts killing fleas w/in 6 hours. The fleas are probably running all over her, biting, etc. as the med takes effect, which is causing temporary discomfort. I had a similar experience with Capstar.
Thank you for the info. She's doing better today, just a little scratching and eating more. My first time ever dealing with fleas. I hate them! 🤮

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Be sure to treat your home as well. Vacuum daily, especially along baseboards. Sprinkle diatomaceous earth under furniture and appliances to deter and kill any under there. You can also sprinkle it on sofa cushions overnight, then vacuum the next morning.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
The fleas probably came in on a shoe or clothes. Seems to be happening alot more this year, ticks as well are rampant. Keep your grass mowed short and check your ankles and shoes for fleas/ticks before coming inside, particularly if you were in a grassy or woodsy area.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If you are suspicious of the Revolution Plus, you can ask for a prescription for the older formulation. You may need to order it with the prescription/vet call from Chewy as many vets here are not stocking it.

Massive flea issue this year and I was told flat out by several vets that products like the OTC Advantage are about as good as applying water to your cat. My cat vet had to do a transfusion on one cat who went into anemia from all the flea activity.

One of my cats was given Capstar and had the reaction described by J jmichaelp which is to be expected. Revolution can take up to 36 hours to become effective in a huge infestation; less time if you are not facing the flea apocalypse.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Be sure to treat your home as well. Vacuum daily, especially along baseboards. Sprinkle diatomaceous earth under furniture and appliances to deter and kill any under there. You can also sprinkle it on sofa cushions overnight, then vacuum the next morning.
How safe is it to use diatomaceous for cats? I have some cats that go under couches etc

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe de is only dangerous to invertibrets with exoskelitons it cuts them so they dry out.

It is safe enough to be used in kitchens (food grade) so I don't think it is harmful to cats or people.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wouldn't use the Diatomaceous earth. I had a cat that developed chronic rhinitis after I used it. If you look at it carefully under a microscope you see that it is tiny little crystals with sharp points. If a cat inhales them, it is bad. I know allot of people use it without incident, but I won't ever again.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How safe is it to use diatomaceous for cats? I have some cats that go under couches etc
It is not supposed to be inhaled, so you can't apply it under furniture and leave it there. It would need to be 'raked' into the carpet and then the excess vacuumed up. You would also need to use a mask while applying it.

CyberTiger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, my understanding with DE is that you use it to kill the fleas hiding at that moment, then vacuum it up. You don't want to leave it to be inhaled.

The last time I had to deal with fleas, we got some flea traps from Amazon (to use alongside the other things we were doing). They were basically a light over a sticky paper. That seemed to catch the roamers, particularly at night.