My cat is really thin!

astrasam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's a two year old un-neutered Ragdoll tom. The vet just says he is a slim cat. His coat is in lovely condition and he's as active as a Ragdoll gets but the fact that he is so skinny really worries me, I can feel every bone in his body (his hips are especially prominent). He is a fussy eater who prefers to eat little and often. Any advice would be welcome guys, thanks in advance :)

P.s he is wormed regularly and I have another cat who is in regular cat shape haha.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know Maine Coons are slow to mature, I wonder if the same is true of the Ragdoll.  If he is maturing slowly then it may be the thin gangly appearance of an older kitten.  You could maybe try adding some probiotics to see if that helps him gain weight.  Has he started to show the normal signs of a tom cat, the hard puffy cheeks and more territorial behavior?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

astrasam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
His face has really boxed out in the last few months so he is definitely maturing and he has started to become aggressive towards the tom next door so maybe you're right. He's in great shape but the fact that he's so skinny is freaking me out.

Thanks for putting my mind at rest, I'll look into it more.

I used to have a Maine Coon when I was little, they're beautiful cats :)

jdollprincess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's definitely a good idea to get him neutered also. Spaying and neutering slows down a cats metabolism by about 20% so it may help him gain a few pounds.