My Cat Is Pregnant

cat-tastrophe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don't worry about a thing, you're doing great! As long as all of your cat's kittens don't end up in animal shelters and you find them all good homes, there's no reason why people here should make you feel bad. You love your kitty, and her babies are sure lucky to have someone like you who cares about them! Keep it up! Its better than pets being dumped off

mountaindew

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do agree she is doing great and if a cat that is indoor happens to get out it is great that you are doing the right thing and caring for mom as you should and finding homes for the kittens. But by not fixing a cat and allowing her out when not spayed you are just asking for trouble. with having lots of litters you are shortening her life span, she can get pyrometria (sp????) and yes it can happen before when I was "stupid" and didn't know that a cat could get sick from not being fixed my cat almost died from it and had emergency surgery to be spayed. yes she was about 4 or 5 at the time so it wans't when she was young. then having to come up with $1000 to have a c-section or take the chance of loosing mom and kitten was definately hard.

I am not saying she is wrong just saying from experience it is cheaper to have her fixed than pay for all the cat food, extra litter the care of the kittens time and time again by NOT having her fixed and also chancing a c-section and end up paying at least 3x the amt it would have cost to have her fixed.

As you can see I am NOT perfect and all my cats haven't been fixed right away. I do have a family and at times money is hard to come by but I did learn the hard way that by "waiting till I really had the money" I spent THREE TIMES as much as what it would have been to fix her!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its much much cheaper to spay/neuter then it is to care for a litter of kittens for 10-12 weeks with extra food expense, getting 1-2 shots for the kittens before they leave your home, extra litter/boxes, etc.

Ideally the kittens should be spayed/neutered too before you rehome them - but not too many of us really have that extra money at the time. Why do you think breeders charge so much? Its cause of all the expenses you need for the first 3-4 months of that kitten's life. Breeders are lucky if they can break even on expenses on a litter.

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cat-tastrophe

As for spaying, a person shouldn't be made to feel like they have to. As long as you take good care of the kittens and find them all good homes, you can have as many litters as you want!
Have you ever been in a shelter!? You can't be serious, as many litters as any one wants! Do the math on all those kittens that the mom has (in 2+ litters at 4-6 in each) Then those kittens having owners thinking the same way and each of those kittens having 6 or so more kittens in each litter..... I'm not good at math but I think you can see how quick that adds up!
No one wants any one to feel bad about an accidental litter, but to say as long as you find them homes have as many litters as you want is mind blowing to me.

Originally Posted by Cat-tastrophe

Don't worry about a thing, you're doing great! As long as all of your cat's kittens don't end up in animal shelters and you find them all good homes, there's no reason why people here should make you feel bad. You love your kitty, and her babies are sure lucky to have someone like you who cares about them! Keep it up! Its better than pets being dumped off
How Can any one guarantee that a kitten of theirs won't end up in a shelter? Kittens are easy to find homes for, it's when they get older, and get pregnant or not so cute, ect. that they end up in shelters. How do you know that one of the people taking a kitten doesn't end up moving, ect. and can't keep it any more. Who's to say they will find it a home, they may take it to the shelter months or years down the road.
I have had a couple of litters and out of those I have only ended up (so far) with one owner not being able to keep the cat. I make every one that got kittens from me sign contracts that they MUST return the cat to me if they could no longer keep it at any time for any reason. (they also had to get them spayed/neutered, if I didn't do it already, most were already altered prior to be adopted) So they called me to get her, and I even took the other cat they got after getting mine and I still have them both untill I find new homes for them. And I would take any others back, if needed, will you?