My Cat Is Pooping Get Outside Of His Litter Box

2Tabbys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 Tabby cats. One is 15 years old and other events is 3 years old. We are building a large addition onto our home. We just installed new carpeting throughout the additionight a few days ago. Since the carpet has been installed, we are finding a new pile of feces every morning. We don't think both cats are doing it since there is only one new pile each morning. Is it common for cats to confuse plush carpet with its litter? We aren't sure what to do and are freaking out that our brand new carpet will be ruined!

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it in the same spot? if it is, place another kitty litter tray on top of the spot after cleaning.

misskirby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, cats will not confuse carpet with litter. Find out which cat is doing it and notice their behavior. Most cats get very stressed when there are changes or new people coming into the home. Since you're adding a new addition, I'm assuming you've had people working in your home. This can be very stressful for a cat. Try adding a second litter box near the new addition if possible and give your cat plenty of safe spaces to go to. Of course, if the cat is showing behaviors that could indicate a health problem, you should definitely go to a vet.