My Cat is pooping black - dehydration or concern

Minnie99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys,
My male who’s barely two has been producing really hard black stool recently, and he’s already on Urinary food from developing crystals as he refuses to drink water, my only concern is if he’s getting enough water and that isn’t the reason for his black stool?

I’ve been getting really worried, but saw some posts how black stool could be dehydration, he’s sneezing every so now as well and just wanted to know if it’s normal or he needs to be taken to a vet!

Attachments

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Any concerns about poop should be taken up with a vet (including a sample for them to look at).
The hardness can be attributed to not enough fluids, but this can be helped by adding a bit of wet food to his diet, adding gravy toppers to dry food, or adding water to the food itself. You can also add things like a spoonful of purée pumpkin (found in grocery stores) to each meal. This will add a bit of moisture and help keep kitty more regular when it comes to his poops.
However, black can also mean there's blood in the stool. This is a cause for concern. It could be related to the type of food he's on, or if he was switched over too quickly from one food to another.
As for the sneezing, that could be an URI, allergies, or if kitty is under any stress, a flare up of the herpes virus.
I'd still follow up with a vet, with ad fresh of a stool sample as you can.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Minnie99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any concerns about poop should be taken up with a vet (including a sample for them to look at).
The hardness can be attributed to not enough fluids, but this can be helped by adding a bit of wet food to his diet, adding gravy toppers to dry food, or adding water to the food itself. You can also add things like a spoonful of purée pumpkin (found in grocery stores) to each meal. This will add a bit of moisture and help keep kitty more regular when it comes to his poops.
However, black can also mean there's blood in the stool. This is a cause for concern. It could be related to the type of food he's on, or if he was switched over too quickly from one food to another.
As for the sneezing, that could be an URI, allergies, or if kitty is under any stress, a flare up of the herpes virus.
I'd still follow up with a vet, with ad fresh of a stool sample as you can.
Yes, no definitely will do that, he’s on wet food, as I want him to get as much moisture as possible, for the pumpkin puree would the canned ones do?

Mr. Meow

Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, no definitely will do that, he’s on wet food, as I want him to get as much moisture as possible, for the pumpkin puree would the canned ones do?
Absolutely. Make sure it's plain purée pumpkin and doesn't have any added flavors/spices etc. Just a spoonful with each meal (or as a snack if they'll eat it plain) and it helps hard poop/constipation soften up and helps thicken/harden diarrhea.
And like everything else, use in moderation 👍

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Minnie99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Absolutely. Make sure it's plain purée pumpkin and doesn't have any added flavors/spices etc. Just a spoonful with each meal (or as a snack if they'll eat it plain) and it helps hard poop/constipation soften up and helps thicken/harden diarrhea.
And like everything else, use in moderation 👍
Thank you will do! Any recommendations on brands?

Mr. Meow

Super Cat
Purraise
Not really. I'm sure any 100% natural purée pumpkin will work. I use Authority purée pumpkin, but only because I have a Petsmart MUCH closer to my house than a grocery store. I'm probably waaaay overpaying, but I'm just happy it works.
Screenshot_20210208-130605.png