My cat is only afraid of me?

shelbygt660

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About a year ago, I adopted a Siamese mix kitten from the Humance Socity. She was very skidish, I held her in my arms under my coat as she was shaking on the ride home. For the first week she was hiding, about a couple months later she seemed to be more interested in everyone and all the other animals. We took her to the vet to be fixed. But she fell ill with a flu like. So i was told that she needed "Steam baths" to help clear out her sinus. She was terrified of being in the bathroom with the steam. I had to corner her to grab her to bring her into there.  And i also had to corner her to get her into the "kennel" to bring her to the vet to get fixed. Ever since then. She has become attached to everyone but me. She will go and visit the other cats, and people. She snuggles with my mother and allows everyone but me to pet her. If she hears me coming she will run and hide. If she hears my voice she will do the same. Is there anyway to fix this? I just want to pet her.

thanks in advance.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like you have some work to do to regain her confidence in you. It's best not to be too pushy. You could sit on the floor near her and just talk to her or read out loud to her, blink slowly when you catch her eye to let her know you mean her no harm, and try to engage her in play sessions. What you need is some interactive "fishing pole" toys, a laser pointer or small balls for her to chase. She might become so wrapped up in the games that she forgets that you put her in the kennel, etc..

rarepuss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Are you her primary caretaker? Do you feed her?  Clean lirterbox? Play? If mom does it, I understand the cat. 

luceelu06

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's probably associating all the things that she hates with you because you are taking care of those things... Unfortunately, thats what happens. She needs to know that you love her, and that you aren't there just to do the things she hates.

When I got my kittens, one of them attached to me instantly, the other, not so much. He was always looking at me like he hated me.. and was scared.. so when his brother was asleep, I would and still do some times.. because he just is a cat like that.. LOL.. I will go and pat him and talk to him, and in a calming voice and after a bit of time.. he's come around quite a bit... Just try to mingle with her a bit.. in a calming fashion.. bring out a toy... or treats.. and see if that works...

So heartbreaking when we think our animals don't like us.. :)