My cat is on 15mg/ml prednisolone

Natashavillafan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She has been on it for 4 months.. she was tapered down to every other day and she's only been like that for 1 week and she already doesn't wanna eat again and threw up. Is 15mg/ml a high dose? She was doing good again on everyday dosing. This is the 3rd time we try to dose down to every other day and no luck.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does she get a full 1 mL (15 mg) dose? If so, that sounds like a large dose. How much does she weigh? What is being treated for? Does she take any other meds? I would prefer she was on every other day dosing. But you must realize that when you go from every day to every other day, you are essentially halving her dose. Probably more than half because pred doesn't fully metabolize in a day--one of the big reasons why I would prefer every other day dosing. But I'm not a vet. And I'm not familiar with your cat's case. Just on the face of this, I'm thinking she's taking a high dose and needs a smaller step down from dose X everyday to dose X every other day (a 50% or more reduction.) Perhaps you can reduce the daily dose first. Or the other option is that the underlying condition is not yet managed well enough for a dose reduction.