My cat is obsessed with scratching reflective surfaces and screens

nwfn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My little girl Miss Chloe just turned one year old, and she's developed an obsession with reflective surfaces and screens. She'll scratch at mirrors, the fake glass fireplace, even the oven door. The worst are the TV and the laptop. She scratches at the TV whenever it's on and sometimes when it's not (thankfully the glass seems to be cat-scratch resistant), and I can't leave the laptop open and unattended at all because she'll be on it seconds after I get up.

I play with her often using toy mice and wands. She is super playful, definitely the most active cat I've had. I love her to bits, but I'd also like to block or redirect some of this behavior if possible. I don't think she's scratching these surfaces for attention; she usually kneads my leg when she wants to play, and I almost always oblige.

The only thing that *sometimes* works with the TV is a can of ssscat. However, the ssscat goes off for no reason more often than it goes off for my cat. She's a little wary of it, but she seems to have figured out that if she goes to the opposite side of the TV, she won't set off the can (whereas I set it off by walking around ten feet away from it...) Given how often it goes off for me, it's an expensive solution too -- I've already gone through a can, and I'm trying to find a refill.

If you have any ideas, please share. It would be great to watch Game of Thrones without having to get up 20 or 30 times to drag the cat off the TV :)

Last edited:

genevieve

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dang! Kitties can really get silly obsessions, can't they! My kitty Misty gets into the bath tub and goes crazy scratching the back of it......... luckily she hasn't discovered computer screens, or tv screens. I hope she doesn't. I don't have a solution, but I wanted to sympathise.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nwfn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the sympathy :) I'm not sure how old your cat is, but mine has been interested in screens since I got her at five months. None of my other cats have paid any notice to reflections or images on screens, but her interest keeps escalating.