My cat is now purring regularly, but it is only to wake people out of bed to feed her

howard

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, we had our cat for alittle over a year now, and it only purred twice, one time after I fed her, and another time after it just used the bathroom.

Now it purrs as a last resort to wake people out of bed to get food, after she grunts, jumps around, and sticks her nose in your face to try to wake people up to feed her.

jfragons

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our cat, Moonpie, does this as well.. But it beats what she use to do to wake us up for food.

She use to dig at our covers non-stop until we couldnt stand it anymore.. So we locked her out when we went to bed. This caused her to meow loudly and scratch at the door constantly.. So we bought scaaat and put it at the door to deter her.. This worked for awhile until she got brave and would jump past it.. After the scaaat failed, we would just scold her out of the bed when she would jump on it. This cause her to start dive-bombing us where she would jump on the bed and quickly jump back off, over and over.. She adapted to everything we did..

But now, lucky for us, she just sits beside us and purrs loudly.. She has become very patient, where before she just annoyed us to no end..

jfragons

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Scaaat is basically a pet repellent. It is a motion sensor on top of a can of conpressed air. When an animal gets close to the sensor, it sprays a short burst of air to startle the animal.

It worked for a long time. I kept it outside my bedroom door to keep Moonpie from scratching and meowing loudly. But she eventually outsmarted it. Hambone isn't nearly as smart as her. He never would've figured it out. But, he never annoyed us to death while we slept either.

You can get them from amazon... It's actually spelled ssscat.. just looked it up.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jake purrs as I prepare his food.
His dry food is in a closet to make sure he doesn't get to it, and whenever he wants some of that he goes up to the closet and starts scratching on the door...
Or on my bedroom door, to wake me up.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To avoid being woken up in the morning to feed hungry cats, I do not feed breakfast when I first get out of bed. They wait an hour to be fed.

So they do not associate me getting up with getting food.

I've done that way for years, but of course these days it's necessary as Tolly has to take a medicine after overnight fasting, an hour before eating, and it is always when I dose for hair balls, when needed.

Often they remain in bed even after I get up! Tolly purrs while waiting to be fed, and while he eats. Jennie purrs while waiting, but stops as she settles down to eat. I can't hear Mazy purring unless she is on me, so I don't know if she is purring or not at meal times.