My cat is not into raw food anymore!!!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So, couple days ago I finally received a package with Stella and Chewy’s FD.

OMG, now I know why it is everyone’s favorite here! This stuff is really good, smells great and must be very tasty. My cat is crazy about it, and he’ll eat it in every form. I am mixing it with ground meat or using it like crumbled toppers on his meat pieces, and it’s working, he is eating his raw again, willingly and with pleasure!

It’s so unfortunate, that you can’t find Stella and Chewy’s products here in Canada.
Wonderful news!  So...what flavor(s) did you get?  At least you are able to get it via the Internet, huh?  (I'm guessing that's how you received it, or did you have to have a friend in the U.S. send it to you?)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maraozza

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:woohoo: Wonderful news!  So...what flavor(s) did you get?  At least you are able to get it via the Internet, huh?  (I'm guessing that's how you received it, or did you have to have a friend in the U.S. send it to you?)
Yes, I ordered it from online store in the U.S.
I estimated, that with shipping cost included, I paid about $25 for bag (not so bad after all :clap: :lol3:). I got 2 single-serve pouches to try in Turkey and Duck flavors and normal size bag(12oz.) of Chicken Dinner. Also, I bought Call of the Wild supplement to balance a plain meat meal.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, $25 including shipping isn't bad at all!  I think I pay $23 before taxes locally, and one shop around here charges $28, so you got a good deal.  
AND you found an on-line store that sells the individual serving sizes?  Gosh, I looked all over and never found those on-line! 

oakshimmer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like your kitty will be sticking a raw food again!

I had the same experience when feeding freeze dried, but I am feeding Nature's Variety FD right now, and so far so good!
It's back to buisness as usual. I think sometimes she likes the dry version every now and then. 
And when it is time for the frozen raw she isn't as picky. Whatever works right!

tinypetowner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mature cats sometimes only want to eat once a day. Maybe your cat isn't that hungry..

maraozza

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mature cats sometimes only want to eat once a day. Maybe your cat isn't that hungry..

My cat prefers to eat 3 or 4 small meals. He always needs a few "attempts" to finish his meal, but will gobble up instantly something he really loves :lol3:( today he had raw rabbit with COTW and it was gone in seconds!:clap:)

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cat is the same and prefers smaller meals more frequently. That is great about the rabbit with the Call of the Wild. I'm so happy for both of you that he's eating raw again, happily. I have ordered some COTW that should be here soon, so I hope my cat likes it as much as yours did. I do still need to figure out a good local source for rabbit though.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You know, it's worth looking for local farms. A good place to start is http://www.eatwild.com :nod:

I wasn't ever able to find local rabbit I could afford. To feed my kitties rabbit, I have to buy it from Hare Today, ground. :sigh: (I sometimes buy the whole dressed rabbit, but it's still pretty expensive). But compared to all the other companies, their shipping rates are best. ( http://www.hare-today.com)

Mara - it's good you've got a local source, Hare Today doesn't ship to Canada.

maraozza

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I buy rabbit from grocery store when it’s on sale. Last time it was $5.99/lb. (original price is $6.99/lb.)

Ozzy is our only kitty, so we can spoil him with rabbit meat 2-3 times a week. He eats canned food too, so his meat supplies lasts longer. :lol3:

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, I have never seen rabbit at a regular grocery store. Lucky you. I only have one cat as well, so it is easy to spoil her. She's not tried rabbit though (as far as I know). It's funny but when I used to let her outside when we first got her, she used to bring home "gifts" including rabbits, completely unharmed. We'd have to rescue the poor bunnies from her. As far as I know though, she never ate one. It's ironic that now I'm paying for rabbit for her.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I buy rabbit from grocery store when it’s on sale. Last time it was $5.99/lb. (original price is $6.99/lb.)

Ozzy is our only kitty, so we can spoil him with rabbit meat 2-3 times a week. He eats canned food too, so his meat supplies lasts longer. :lol3:
WOW that is so cool they sell rabbit at the store! And such a great price! :clap: When we lived in a suburb of New York City (a Greek neighborhood in Queens), we used to buy rabbit (for ourselves) at the butcher. But not even butchers around here carry them.

Wow, I have never seen rabbit at a regular grocery store. Lucky you. I only have one cat as well, so it is easy to spoil her. She's not tried rabbit though (as far as I know). It's funny but when I used to let her outside when we first got her, she used to bring home "gifts" including rabbits, completely unharmed. We'd have to rescue the poor bunnies from her. As far as I know though, she never ate one. It's ironic that now I'm paying for rabbit for her.
:lol3: Here Mom! I don't want to eat the bunny, YOU have it! :D :heart2:

maraozza

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think my cat is allergic to eggs. Every time he has raw yolk or cooked egg, he gets very itchy around his neck and head.
So, I want to ask you, is it essential to have egg yolk added to the raw meat diet? Can it be substituted with something else?

maraozza

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ozzy isn’t a big fan of the raw beef lately, but I am still offering it to him occasionally.

And what about beef heart, is it also high in choline?
He never had beef heart before, and I am not sure if he is going to like it. :dk: He used to like chicken and duck hearts, but now he needs a lot of encouragement to eat them.

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know about beef heart. I'll go look.

Hearts in general are high in taurine... maybe he just needs a break from them for a couple of weeks? That usually gets my cats interested in foods again.

maraozza

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your help, Laurie!

:rock:

ltlexus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat likes to go in and out of eating raw. I always try to feed her pieces but when she's being picky I'll bring it up in my nutribullet. I think she just doesn't like eating the same stuff over and over which is hard on me because I like to meal prep for her.