My cat is not eating right and we don't know why?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

guinness10

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No food intake today.  I babyfood fed him and he hid in the closet.  Cant do that to him anymore.  Tomorrow?  I dont know.

becky mcbeth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sorry Guiness10 about your fur baby. It seems like I am going through right now what have been dealing with. For about 1 month now my Baby (yes that's her name) has been very sick and we can't get an accurate diagnosis on why. We made an apt with her regular vet because she was not eating and started to throw up after every meal. I made the apt on Monday and by Tuesday she was jaundiced, we seen the vet on Wednesday. She did a chest and abdominal x-ray and did not see gallstones but all of her liver enzymes were elevated. She didn't know why, was it something she got into or was it a tumor. She gave her sub-q fluids and sent us home with an antibiotic and recommended an ultrasound. Baby seemed to be doing better on antibiotic and u/s was scheduled for following Tuesday, however, by the weekend she was not eating anything and was very lethargic. We took her to the animal hospital and the critical care vet did an u/s and said it was pancreatitis and hepatic lipidosis. She was admitted to the ICU and given a NG tube because you basically have to stop eating to treat pancreatitis, but develop more liver problems in cats if you do stop eating. The NG tube delivered electrolytes directly to her intestines, she also was on IV fluids, pain meds and famotidine; she spent 3 days there. She came home with the NG and we did tube feedings through there until she pulled her NG tube out. The critical care vet said just see if she will eat food, which she did for just a few days. She was then started on mirtazapine for appetite stimulant, which did nothing for her. I took her back for recheck u/s of pancreatitis 2 days after NG tube came out and was told her pancreas had healed, but they kept her for a few hours to give her some fluids, dexamethasone and versed injections. She came home and ate like a champ so we thought the steroids were doing the job. The critical care vet told me when I went to pick her that she probably had inflammatory bowel disease and that the Prednisone would help with that. However, after about 3 days she did not eat and we were forced to force feed her. I took her back to the critical care vet yesterday who basically told me to put her sleep because she thinks she may have lymphoma and would need surgery to do biopsies, but just the week before told me she was to sick to put under to scope her to see if she had IBD. I asked that they give her that versed and dexamethasone injections again because I'm not ready to give up on her. I brought her home and guess what after that she ate a lot throughout the day. The only thing is she hides behind the sofa all the time. She has lost about 4 pounds since she got sick, was 15 pounds so losing some weight was good for her, but now she is skin and bones. She lately has been drinking a lot more water and peeing outside of the litterbox. I made an apt for tomorrow with her regular vet to see if she can offer some insight on what is going on with my Baby.

guinness10

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Becky McBeth, welcome to the world of Pancreatitis.  The roller coaster ride that it is.  I am so sorry that I havent gotten back to you sooner.  I personally relied heavily on this site when I first came aboard and I am sorry I didnt get to respond to you sooner.  What has happened with your baby?

guinness10

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry I didnt get to tell you this sooner Go Holistic but this cat is trucking along.  Apparently the nasty bout with the Pancreatitis this time has "righted" itself for the time being and I guess the Diabeties hasnt quite kicked in yet, as he took a turn around and started to eat again and act better.  I dont even give him pred every day any more.  Whatever...day by day we stay.

guinness10

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Becky I see you are on line, how is your baby?

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Sorry I didnt get to tell you this sooner Go Holistic but this cat is trucking along.  Apparently the nasty bout with the Pancreatitis this time has "righted" itself for the time being and I guess the Diabeties hasnt quite kicked in yet, as he took a turn around and started to eat again and act better.  I dont even give him pred every day any more.  Whatever...day by day we stay.
Wow...he's a fighter.

guinness10

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today is the first day since this started that he clearly isnt feeling well.  I shouldnt have spoke, I jinxed the poor guy.  Stopped eating again.  Up until last night he was doing so well.  Better than in a long time.  Will give him a few days as I think it may be the pancreatits although water intake is up so maybe the diabeties.  Been reading about it, you dont think that pred and stress from a vet visit could mimick the diabeties and raise his glucose to 600 that is pretty high for just that isnt it?

becky mcbeth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sadly I have to say my Baby girl passed away last night unexpectedly at home with me and dad. She seemed to be choking on her e tube and was very limp, we picked her up to rush her to the hospital but she unfortunately passed away in her dad's arms.

quiet

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry. I hope you can find comfort in the good memories and let go of the ones that hurt. She was very loved and that never goes away. I am sorry.

becky mcbeth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, she will always be in my heart until we see each other again.

guinness10

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry Becky!  Clearly she was very loved!

becky mcbeth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Guinness10 she was very loved. I actually got her when she was 9 days old and bottle fed her. I had a good 13.5 years with her and I know she is at the rainbow bridge with my other furbaby Sneakers who was her companion for 10 years before we had to put her to rest because of cancer. I have faith that one day I will see them again and get to kiss their little pink noses.