My cat is missing a tooth.

whc216

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

Today, I found out that one of my cats (about 9 years old), is missing a tooth. I am not sure when did this happen but last time I saw his teeth was about 5 months ago, so it probably happened between. I never saw a missing tooth or something, so I really had no idea until today. He acted normal as usual so it was just surprising to find a missing tooth. From what I saw from cat's teeth, he is missing 206 which is one of the left side of premolars. I saw some swollen gum from him before and noticed swollen gum from both sides (currently left side tooth is there but swollen gum on 106 area).

So my question is that does this require additional surgery for a missing tooth or is it okay to leave as it is (as long as no swollen gum?)

Also what's good way to treat this swollen gum? I noticed my other cats having swollen gum, mostly that 106 and 206 area (premolars). Any way to reduce this swollen gum?

Thank you.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Personally if I noticed a missing tooth I'd bring my cats to the vet to have a look. If one was lost, I'd suspect gum disease and be worried other teeth might follow.
I don't think there is any way to help a cat with swollen gums on your own. Most likely there is some kind of infection brewing and even if acting normal, the cat may not feel very well. A vet really is necessary in this case.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would take your cat into the vet to see about the swollen gum. As said above, something going on there.

However, I will tell you Tawny (RIP at 15 - a long time ago), 'lost' a couple of teeth after he hit 10. I had no idea, and he didn't have any swollen gum areas in his mouth when the missing teeth were identified - never had any issues otherwise with his teeth/gums. So, it can happen, but with a swollen gum line - that needs to be checked out for sure.