My cat is making a thumping sound when he walks

ccohawk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 15 year old cat sometimes makes a thumping sound when he walks. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you be a bit more specific? Is it emanating directly from his paws? Is he dragging them in any way? Other than the sound is he behaving oddly in any way? (Sorry to ask so many questions, just trying to help you). Sometimes my male cat can sound a little “thumpy” after a good meal just before a nap. Maybe it’s a sleepy/lazy thing.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
There is also something called “cerebellar hypoplasia” you can Google but that sounds a bit extreme from what you have sofar described.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ccohawk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Could you be a bit more specific? Is it emanating directly from his paws? Is he dragging them in any way? Other than the sound is he behaving oddly in any way? (Sorry to ask so many questions, just trying to help you). Sometimes my male cat can sound a little “thumpy” after a good meal just before a nap. Maybe it’s a sleepy/lazy thing.
I haven't seen him do it, just heard it. My husband thinks it's his hips - probably arthritis.

ccohawk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is also something called “cerebellar hypoplasia” you can Google but that sounds a bit extreme from what you have sofar described.
I don't think it's that. It sounds like that is something kittens are born with. My cat is 15. Thanks for the information.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Given your cats age, it is probably arthritis - although my cat does not 'thump' about but rather limps. I have to go down the path of has he had any recent senior/geriatric exams, including a full blood work up? Maybe an x-ray or two is in order to see what is going with his joints/spine? And, to ask if there are any other changes in him? Eating, drinking, activity level, litter box habits, etc.

There are numerous arthritis supplements on the market - the most predominant being Cosequin or Dasuquin. You might want to give one of them a try - it could take up to 6 weeks to see significant changes, but it seems 2 weeks can be enough to notice some difference.

ccohawk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Given your cats age, it is probably arthritis - although my cat does not 'thump' about but rather limps. I have to go down the path of has he had any recent senior/geriatric exams, including a full blood work up? Maybe an x-ray or two is in order to see what is going with his joints/spine? And, to ask if there are any other changes in him? Eating, drinking, activity level, litter box habits, etc.

There are numerous arthritis supplements on the market - the most predominant being Cosequin or Dasuquin. You might want to give one of them a try - it could take up to 6 weeks to see significant changes, but it seems 2 weeks can be enough to notice some difference.

ccohawk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think he’s lost a little bit of weight and his new thing is screaming At us every morning to wake us up. He’s also been pooping on the floor.
In the last year he’s lost two sisters and his twin brother. He’s the only one left. I know he misses them.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Poor baby! :alright: I would get him in for a senior/geriatric exam, including a full-scale blood work and urinalysis - pretty standard stuff at his age. This all could be from mourning his losses, but there is probably more to it than that.
The weight loss and screaming are the most common traits of hyperthyroidism, so a thyroid check (called a T-4) can be added to the other blood work. Pooping outside the box can also be a sign of arthritis, or some mild constipation brought on by old age and food.
However, I think the 'thumping' might be something different, and likely to do with arthritis - reason being for me suggesting some x-rays.
Your baby is no longer a baby. I know how sad that is because my baby, Feeby (17+ yo) is no longer a baby either.:frown:

ccohawk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Poor baby! :alright: I would get him in for a senior/geriatric exam, including a full-scale blood work and urinalysis - pretty standard stuff at his age. This all could be from mourning his losses, but there is probably more to it than that.
The weight loss and screaming are the most common traits of hyperthyroidism, so a thyroid check (called a T-4) can be added to the other blood work. Pooping outside the box can also be a sign of arthritis, or some mild constipation brought on by old age and food.
However, I think the 'thumping' might be something different, and likely to do with arthritis - reason being for me suggesting some x-rays.
Your baby is no longer a baby. I know how sad that is because my baby, Feeby (17+ yo) is no longer a baby either.:frown:
I think you’re right. He needs an exam and the thumping is probably arthritis. He doesn’t do it all the time and he can still get up on the counter. I don’t want him hurting, though. Thanks for your answers.