My cat is like a dog - she wants to eat anything

denrin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our one cat, Bailey, likes to try and eat everything. She steals pieces of chicken off our plates if she can. She tries to get her nose in my soup... she goes after whipped cream on our cheesecake... she tries to get her nose in my spaghetti. We feed her, regularily, but she doesn't always eat her food right away.. she'd rather try to eat my lunch. Is this normal behaviour? We even switch up their food to try and make sure they don't get bored...

Any advice?? I don't know why she reacts this way...

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We had a cat like Bailey a long time ago. We called him a goat. Not only would he try to eat our food but things that were inedible too. We resorted to locking him up in a room when we ate. Don't know if that's the best solution for you but at least it worked for us when we were trying to cook or eat dinner.
Whatever you do, do not give in to letting Bailey eat your food. Best of luck!

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Puff was like that at first. And he still does it sometimes. The first night we sat down to eat dinner (we eat in the living room) and he jumped up and went after Sierra's food. I removed him from the couch where Sierra had her plate and gave him a firm no. I also made sure he had his own food so he had an alternative. He still acts like he's starved. Of course he's not. He's the fattest cat I've ever had actually. I think it's most likely from him having to fend for himself when he was a kitten.

I'm always having to make sure all string is off the floor. For some reason he love to eat string.

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, mine are little food stealers too. I hope they grow out of it. The reason they're not allowed on my table is that they'll have their heads in my plate through the whole meal....

barblynnp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Mickey only jumps on the table for food when I'm sitting at the table alone eating cereal. He sticks his head right in my bowl wanting the milk. I'm really bad......I spoil him by putting a little puddle on the table and letting him have that. He licks it and then jumps down. I know some people might think that is gross...don't worry, I clean off the table after meals. He never jumps on the table when we are all there, maybe because there is no room left.....there are 6 of us.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm maybe it pays to have a dog in the house. Ling and Charlie copy Keno a lot in commands and only have to be told to "get down" or "off" when there is food on the table.

Everyone knows that AFTER dinner they are fed and they will usually get something from the table. But I'm sure if you left the table and plate unattended the 2 cats would help themselves

If your cat is that determined on stealing food, I'd put him in another room while eating. Maybe a few times of that will convinence him that its NOT ok to bother people at the table.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Radar is such a pig and begs for food - even though it's something he doesn't like he will still sit and paw at you until you let him sniff your dinner so that he can decide he doesn't want any. If we are having something he likes, he has to be shut out of the room while we are eating.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that sounds all to familair
let see that is defintelty blue in our house, we actually do go and feed her and put her in another room while we eat and same for Bella, Tessa, and Stormie because well they are all pigs when it comes to people food
and well Blue is def the worse liek even yesterday i made soup and I had to kick her off the couch with me about 7 times but usually we just give them food when its dinner time and put them in their rooms (Stormie and Bella have my room or shall we say its their room, and Blue and Tessa's room is my moms, and Midnight stays downstairs he is getting bad with people food now too and well Willie is the little angel who got the whole run of the house
) And half the time if its something Blue doesnt like she will still sit there and try to beg for it and if i try to give her a little piece knowing she wont like it she still begs ! Bella and Stormie just walk away and Tessa will still sit there but she just looks at u, Blue climbs, jumps, everything so I can only suggest when u are eating dinner put ur kittie in a nother room and feed her then!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Denrin

Our one cat, Bailey, likes to try and eat everything. She steals pieces of chicken off our plates if she can. She tries to get her nose in my soup... she goes after whipped cream on our cheesecake... she tries to get her nose in my spaghetti. We feed her, regularily, but she doesn't always eat her food right away.. she'd rather try to eat my lunch. Is this normal behaviour? We even switch up their food to try and make sure they don't get bored...

Any advice?? I don't know why she reacts this way...
Really now, I think you could just as easily have said My dog is like a cat. All of my cats have always been just as big as garbage guts as my dogs. Have you seen the Garfield comic strip? In my humble experience of having 9 cats and 8 dogs during my life, I pronounce your cat normal.

koukou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a cat like yours. He wants to try everything we eat.... and he likes most of it as well. We can't leave plates of human food unattended or he's in there scoffing the lot. The only thing he refuses to eat so far is sweetcorn!

MyaLias

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a cat that is the same way, he's so spoiled. He will sit next to you when you are eating and stare at you, until you give him some. He is insistent that anything you eat is so much better than anything he has. I feed him before I eat, so he's not hungry, and he still does the same. But its funny because he likes everything - mashed potatoes, jello, popcorn, broccoli...don't worry, I don't really feed him those. I just let him try it so he doesn't crave. But he actually likes it. Most of the time, I just give him scraps of meat. He does NOT like bananas or oranges, he cringes like its poison. That's the only times he leaves me alone to eat. When I want to have a peaceful meal, he just has to be locked up.