my cat is in isolation

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shahroze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
People keep pets here in Pakistan. Spaying and neutring is a common practice. There are many local level organizations which are working on creating awareness regarding cruelty to animals. Since everyone is recommending spaying so I will go with it. Right now I am thinking that which cat should be the first. So I guess my feet are now stucked in the water..:lol3:

shahroze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good news!!! Cat has finally came out of her grief. She is now acting normal and is eating and drinking. so relieved to see her the way she was

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
LOL, both of them I hope!!!  Best of luck in getting them all safe and spayed.  Keep up posted OK. 

shahroze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have four cats. In fact there are five. One male has gone completely stray. He roams around in the neighbourhood and is mostly not at home. Other than him, there are two male and two female. Dont you think that getting them spayed at the same time would be difficult to manage? Tell me, once the process has been done, how does the cat feel, I mean how sick is it and in how many days it is back on its feet and feels fine. 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I have four cats. In fact there are five. One male has gone completely stray. He roams around in the neighbourhood and is mostly not at home. Other than him, there are two male and two female. Dont you think that getting them spayed at the same time would be difficult to manage? Tell me, once the process has been done, how does the cat feel, I mean how sick is it and in how many days it is back on its feet and feels fine. 
Males are OK after 2-3 days at most.  They arent in real pains.  Not with the modern operation ways, where they usually make an little incision in the sack, and take out what is needed.

No real seewing is necessary.  Just letting them sleep during the self operation.

Females somewhat longer of course, count with one week.  but if they are sturdy, alike surviving ex homeless, it may go quicker.

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think it depends on what you think you can manage.  The males are definitely the least invasive/recover quickly  operation, but even my female cats recovered very quickly.  Like Stefan said with the boys there's not even any stiches.  I remember a few weeks after one of the boys was fixed, the vet took a cotton ball and ran it along his incision to show me it was as sensitive as I thought.  The cat didn't even flinch.  I do think keeping them isolated for 24 hours or so would be the way to go if you don't do it all at once.

Do you think it would be best to have the girls done, then the boys?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I suggest taking both girls in together, and then the two boys together, and voila, all done!

My cats have not suffered. The males hardly react at all, and my females have slept and rested for a day or so and they are right back in the game. Some vets use stitches that dissolve even, but either way, it truly is not a problem.

Then the cats have no more heat cycles to endure, and the males do not spray or roam so much.

Just make the appointments and do it! :)

shahroze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys for such important information. I think I will go with 2 at a time, one boy and one girl. That way it won't be a haasle. The weather here has already become quite hot so it will be better to fix them before severe heat sets in. Its already 30 degrees Celcius (86 F) here. From May to Sept the average range is between 95 to 107.6 F. That is a terrible time for cats. I try to cut their hair as best as I could but they become very very scared. The vet does not trim, rather shaves the entire body making them look very ugly. So I do it myself with shedder.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
When is your first appointment for the first 2 cats?

Sounds like the kitties might stay inside in the air conditioning like mine do here in Florida, USA. Gets terribly hot & humid here too.

shahroze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vet has told me to bring the cat next Monday. One thing that is bothering me is that female kitty is quite weak at the moment because of recent pregnancy. Do you think I should wait a while before she gets healthy?
Weather in Florida is quite similar to weather here in the city where i live. Summers are very long and hot. Problem is that my mom does not like to keep so many kitties inside the house so its a constant battle with her over them. In very hot weather, she does bring them inside. Yes, keeping them in air condioned room is nice provided they remain within the room which they dont. after some time kitties start meowing to let them go out of the room or even outside.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
When were the kittens born?

Usually the mama cat is spayed about 8 weeks later after kittens are weaned.

If it's too soon, then take a different cat to the vet first. Also, you said you will bring 2 cats together?

Your concerns are legitimate, but please do not allow your many concerns to stall getting your cats spayed and neutered.

shahroze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kittens were born a week back. There are 2 big cats other than the two which are to be taken. One boy (Booti) one girl (Lizzi). Now here comes something interesting. The girl is almost 3 years old. In the begining she had a litter but none survived. After that she never got pregnant, though she has her heat cycles. So she is not a problem. The boy (Booti) has to be fixed. So at the moment there are two boys that can be taken.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Too soon for mama kitty. You must wait 8 to 10 weeks until the kittens are weaned and her milk dries up. Go ahead and have the males neutered. Also, do not think your other female cannot get pregnant just because she hasn't in awhile. She must be spayed as well.

Are you planning to find homes for these kittens! How many are there?

shahroze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You forgot ! mama kitty was not feeding them and they died. There was lot of discussion about this in the thread. Mama is not strong at the moment. Got very weak.. are there any vitamins or special home made food which I can give to make her healthy?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You forgot ! mama kitty was not feeding them and they died. There was lot of discussion about this in the thread. Mama is not strong at the moment. Got very weak.. are there any vitamins or special home made food which I can give to make her healthy?
goat milk, preferably raw goat milk, with the raw yolk of egg in it, is very nourishing for convalescents.

Some nice vitamine paste for animals, if you can get it, is good too.