my cat is in isolation

shahroze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi.
Recently my cat (a Persian) gave birth to 3 kittens. Since she did not nursed them, they all died. Why she did this, I have no clue. This was her second litter. She is nearly two years old. Ever since then, she is in isolation and is hiding herself among the plants in the lawn. There are other cats in the house, but she is totally ignoring them too. Is she mourning the loss? She is not eating much also. Guys please help me out.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does sounds like she mourning the loss, i suggest taking to a vet, you may have to force feed, they will tell you how much and often.

Is she drinking water still?

When a mother cat don't feed their kitten, it time for you take control and feed them and take care of them instead of letting them die. :)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

shahroze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is what I concluded too that she is in mourning. She is ocassionally drinking water. I gave her milk but she didn't drink any.

Tried my very best to feed the tiny kitten from the dropper but it did not worked. I kept it in my hand all day to keep it warm as the cat completely abondoned it. As a last resort, i put kitten's mouth on cat's nipple but that too was useless. Because kitten did not sucked but here I must say that the cat laid down in this process and did not went away. You tell how to feed the new born in such a situation like what tool should be used etc.
Thanks

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, how long ago did they died?

For your question how to feed and what tool should be used, i am paging two advisors in kitten care, although i would suggest start a thread there catwoman707 catwoman707 StefanZ StefanZ

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I m going out now,  Shall answer when I return, in perhaps 2 hours.

but in the meantime, My standard advice - can you get hold on raw goat milk?

shahroze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
one died the same day. The other one the next day and the last one which I tried to rescue, third day. Yeah starting a thread is a nice idea. I will do it shortly.

shahroze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Goat milk .. ok I will try. It can be found.

shahroze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last one died a day before yesterday.i.e 3 days after its birth. I placed it next to the cat at night and found it dead in the morning. Here I would like to tell u that the cat ate one of the three. It was a horrible site. But some cats do this. The mother of this cat was also doing this.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Last one died a day before yesterday.i.e 3 days after its birth. I placed it next to the cat at night and found it dead in the morning. Here I would like to tell u that the cat ate one of the three. It was a horrible site. But some cats do this. The mother of this cat was also doing this.
Its common they do eat the dead kittens.  They dont want to draw  predators to the nest.   So its not something very peculiar, its a defensive protective survival mechanism for them, to protect these still alive.

Now, here we do have two different questions.  How to feed a weak newborn.  I shall spare my time, at this moment we do  have several threads with weak kittens.  So you can read this yourself.   The same feeding with a syringe for the kittens, you can use for forcefeeding the mom.  For  small kittens use a 1 ml needleless syringe.  For mom a bigger one, of ocurse.

The problem is, Im not sure her self chosen(?) isolation is just mourning and depression.   She may be sick for real.

That is in part why I suggested  goat milk - its nourishing and very mild.  Works either she is sick in something, as if she is healthy.

Also, give her whatever which is enticing her, at this moment its more important she begins to eat, than its scitentifically correct.  

But letting a vet see her, ASAP, is very wise.

Are you a breeder?   If not, please consider to spay her.

If yes, you must analyse thoroughly what happened.   You dont want to send faulty genes further on.  Nor letting a bad mother be the ancestor of for your breeding stock.

How was it with the first litter?  any problems there?

End of this message.

Good luck!

shahroze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for explaining. I somehow always have this fear that spaying a cat must be very painful for it. Don't know if I am right or wrong. That is why I never had one spayed. I have 5 cats in total. What do u think?
You asked about this cat's first litter.. well it was completely fine. There were 3 kittens and all survived because she took care of them properly. one of them is with me still is now a grown up small cat.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fixing all of them is going to be costly, where do you live? There may be a low cost spay and neuter nearby. It can be painful but there ways to minimize the pain(pain kiilers)

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thanks for explaining. I somehow always have this fear that spaying a cat must be very painful for it. Don't know if I am right or wrong. That is why I never had one spayed. I have 5 cats in total. What do u think?
You asked about this cat's first litter.. well it was completely fine. There were 3 kittens and all survived because she took care of them properly. one of them is with me still is now a grown up small cat.
I see, no problems with the first litter.  Thus it was something happened here.  It can be almost anything, and one extra reason to let a vet check up her, if she isnt already now returning to be OK.

But you  arent telling me you are a breeder, you "just" dont spay by other reasons.

I do believe in spaying and neutering.   It hurts some, but its worth it.  And there are pain killers to get if necessary.  Discuss it over with your vet.

Look, I know much about the non neutering thinking.  my residents were studs.  And thrived quite well with it, especielly the son.  It felt alike they begged not to be neutered:  "Pleese, look yourself, Im behaving, just dont neuter me". But, when the older become fully adult, 18-24 months, the problems did come...  He was GREATLY relieved when he got neutered!

The yonger had no real problems, probably because the older continued to be the revire holder, so the son never needed to be vigilant and on his watch.

But he too become relieved when neutered.

So yes,  I do believe in  S&N.

The whole site TCS is pro S&N.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's not painful as we would think, I get kittens back from being spayed and neutered and they are ready to play right away, so they would clearly show pain signs if this was the case.

They are given an anesthetic when the procedure is done, as well as one shot of pain medication for the day.

SO much more trouble not fixing them in their live's ahead than getting it done very early/young.

shahroze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for explainimg S&N. I will talk to vet about this possibility. I am breeder in a sense that initially there were 2 persians. They started the family tree almost 6 -7 years ago. Since then there is continous breeding, so far 5 to 6 generations have passed. I normally give away all the kittens as it is impossible to keep so many. There were times when all 3 cats gave birth simultaneously and we had 17 18 kitties.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please spay and neuter your cats. They will be healthier and happier and live longer for you to enjoy them.

shahroze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Spaying and neutring is a general practice here in Pakistan for those who keep pets. Sadly its just me who did not adopted it. Here there are not many facilities as there are in the US those which are available are good. qualified vets are there and availability of good quality pet products (basic ones) is now not difficult. For more specialized ones, ordering online from foreighn country is the only option which gets quite costly. There are very less animal shelters and those are mostly for big animals like horses, mules etc. This is something which has to take its roots here.

shahroze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes dear I definately will do that. It surely will make life a lot easier from me as well as cats