My cat is ill, at vets are at a loss...(gallbladder??)

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! I am sorry for not posting earlier. It is great to hear she ate on her own! that is a major accomplishment. 

Kitty is still going through the withdrawals of all her medications. She is probably feeling strange, so it is good to hear about the food.

I will be waiting for more updates; especially after you take her to the Vet on Monday. 

Just keep thinking positive....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carinajosefine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Talked to the vet today, and we agreed on giving Kitty a couple more days without the medication, before we take her to a CT. She has been given sedatives so much recently to take ultrasounds and what not, he wants her to be as strong as she can be, before she has to go through it again. As it after all has been an upward curve since friday, we decided on this. Also if symptoms occour we might get a hint for where to look, and ofcourse if they do, I come in right away.

So still stuck in limbo, but  now with the feeling of beeing "taken care of", and having some sort of plan.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
This sounds so positive!  Sounds as if this Vet really knows what he is doing! He also sounds as if he is wanting to give your kitty the best chances to arrive at a correct diagnosis!!

A real positive move!!

I think I like this Vet!!

finally!! Someone who makes sense!! Commonsense! and is thinking!! Great!!

I hope you feel a lot more confident with this guy. I know I do. 

I know you are in limbo; BUT, you have a Plan now! a Good plan! You are finally on the right track to get to the bottom of you kittie's issues!  Yay!! Happy Dance time!!! I am trying to be cautiously optimistic! I hope you are feeling much more relieved. 

Sounds as if all your hard work, and love have finally come to fruition!! 

It takes a long time for a many of the drugs to leave someone's system completely. I am glad he is keeping in touch with you about your buddy. He is accessible and trying..that is great!

Please keep us updated...we are keeping fingers and paws crossed!

ruthm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is wonderful to hear she ate on her own- and yes, a couple more days off meds will help when the time comes to do the CT scan I should think!  (although the Convenia will stay in kitty's system for near 60 days, at least the other effects should be running their course.   I like where your new vet is headed, I just hope the CT scan can give him some idea what is going on.   I can totally understand why you feel in limbo, however, it truly does sound like this vet does have a plan and that is a great start.  Better that than when they throw their hands up in the air and say, I dunno what's going on!!! :-(  

Sending lots and lots of healing vibes and prayers- please keep us posted!

carinajosefine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Meh, today has been downhill again. Barely eating, just sleeping. Apart from two hours in the kitty coop in the morning. Phoning the vets tomorrow morning, to ask when we can come in.

Thanks so much for the positive vibes :)

carinajosefine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So we went for a CT scan today. And the vet found a massive lung infection. Like she also was diagnosed with when all this started. Her gallbladder and all other organs looks just fine. She has an elevated SAA 100-and something. Indicated infection as well. The vet could not understand why her previous vets took her off antibiotics after such short time. No wonder, she is still ill, he said. We only made the bacterias a little dizzy. She should of been on the antibiotics for weeks, with such an infection. The antibiotics she was given for the gallbladder would not affect her lungs, which is why I felt like antibiotics werent working this time around.

Im annoyed at our regular vet for putting Kitty through this, by "making up" new diagnosis, when she should have been treated for lung infection all along. I suppose theres no point saying anything, as Im sure they did their best, and its not an aexact scinence to diagnose pets. Still I really feel they messed up. Both with taking her off the first antibiotics for the lung infection so fast, then with starting to heavily medicate her for a gallbladder infection.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
So glad you go a diagnosis!! Now treatment with the correct antibiotics can begin!!

It is good you found this Vet. Sounds like a keeper. 

Yes, I would be so mad at the regular vet. He did cause your baby so much pain by not correctly diagnosing and ordering the correct tests. 

I would actually be furious. But, the important thing is your kitty is now being well cared for. She will improve. It may take some time, because she had that infection or so long, but it will happen. Unfortunately, getting made at the Vet will not help you baby. It will just cause more aggrivation for you. It may make you feel better initially, but when you think about it..what is more important?  You feeling better or your cat getting her health back?

If anything, I would possibly make a telephone call to him and tell him what the diagnosis turned out to be..do not be emotional..just state facts. That you were calling to give him and update...  nothing else is necessary to say.

Please keep the updates coming!!

carinajosefine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

So glad you go a diagnosis!! Now treatment with the correct antibiotics can begin!!

It is good you found this Vet. Sounds like a keeper. 

Yes, I would be so mad at the regular vet. He did cause your baby so much pain by not correctly diagnosing and ordering the correct tests. 

I would actually be furious. But, the important thing is your kitty is now being well cared for. She will improve. It may take some time, because she had that infection or so long, but it will happen. Unfortunately, getting made at the Vet will not help you baby. It will just cause more aggrivation for you. It may make you feel better initially, but when you think about it..what is more important?  You feeling better or your cat getting her health back?

If anything, I would possibly make a telephone call to him and tell him what the diagnosis turned out to be..do not be emotional..just state facts. That you were calling to give him and update...  nothing else is necessary to say.

Please keep the updates coming!!
I know it wont do anyone any good to be upset. This feeling of beeing "let down" and not looked after though... Just to keep her on so many meds, not wanting us in for a follow up before its been two weeks, even when i say the meds arent working, its not okay. To add to they FORGOT to send in stoolsamples i took of my foster kittens at the same time i took from Kitty (when we didnt know what wrong). They sendt in Kitty's, but not the kittens. "communication error", they said. How many reason would i have to bring their poop in (at their request), if i didnt want it tested?

But ye, Ill let it go. Allthough they wont be my "go to" choice of vets anymore.

The vet we saw today was so good at explaining everything we saw on the CT scans. Made sure I understood what was going on. First time in years I didnt feel like I needed to go home and google what the diagnosis REALLY meant. I think he on the expesive side though. The CT scan today + bloodwork was 11 000 NOK. To compare for those familiar with norwegian curency, my monthly income is 8 000 NOK. A hard blow after all the expenses we allready had messing about with the other vet, but well worth it, if it can help my Kitty.

We are giving the antibiotics a couple of weeks now, if no improvement, he wanted to add cortisone, in case of auto immune diseases could be the underlying cause of it all. She did test negative on them, but its not all that can be caught on tests. He found it safer to try that, should the antibiotics not work, then to open for biopsy.

So we got a plan :)

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank goodness. Now will you please eat? You're no good to your kitty if you get ill.

carinajosefine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wanted to share a video of a unexpected cuddle i got today. The little things mean so much these days, and no one would probably understand like you guys would :)

A bit dark, as its only with a mobile. But you can see she is happy :)

I saw the vet today, as i allready had an appointment for my dog there. He has a stomach infection. And I didnt want to change it last minute, as they have all his history. All the times I been there with Kitty, all my desperate messages that Kitty's treatment isnt working... Today the vet didnt mention Kitty by a word. No "How is Kitty doing?" or "So glad you finally found out whats wrong with her", no nothing.... She was however very unfriendly and difficult to deal with.

ruthm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So glad you got in for the CT scan and have something solid finally! I have to apologize, I have to ask, initially your Kitty was given Veraflox for 10 days right? Then she was given a shot of Convenia. It sounds like the first vet figured this was enough to take care of the lung infection? Was he trying to treat the gallbladder inflammation, is this why Kitty was given the Convenia shot? And what were these blood cells that the first vet had never seen before? It makes sense that Convenia wouldn't work on the lung infection as it is supposed to be for skin infections. In the U.S. many vets incorrectly use it for cases where the human being is unable to pill their cat:-( Therefore, many chances of resistant bacteria. Your Kitty looks like she is feeling better already- what a cute video, she's hugging you :-) Thank goodness you sought out the other vet, and that you didn't cave into their advising invasive surgery!!! And I am sorry that you weren't treated with respect during your visit with your dog, I hope he feels better though. What I have found is that vets are not all equal in their knowledge or their bedside manner.

carinajosefine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

So glad you got in for the CT scan and have something solid finally! I have to apologize, I have to ask, initially your Kitty was given Veraflox for 10 days right? Then she was given a shot of Convenia. It sounds like the first vet figured this was enough to take care of the lung infection? Was he trying to treat the gallbladder inflammation, is this why Kitty was given the Convenia shot? And what were these blood cells that the first vet had never seen before? It makes sense that Convenia wouldn't work on the lung infection as it is supposed to be for skin infections. In the U.S. many vets incorrectly use it for cases where the human being is unable to pill their cat:-( Therefore, many chances of resistant bacteria. Your Kitty looks like she is feeling better already- what a cute video, she's hugging you :-) Thank goodness you sought out the other vet, and that you didn't cave into their advising invasive surgery!!! And I am sorry that you weren't treated with respect during your visit with your dog, I hope he feels better though. What I have found is that vets are not all equal in their knowledge or their bedside manner.
Initially she was given veraflox for the lung infection. She got diarrhea, so the vet suggested convenia to try to avoid that. At this point the lung infection probably started to flare up again, as conveia probably didnt take the infection in lungs. 14 days later she apperently had a gallbladder infecton, and was given Flagyl, which also not did not affect the lung infection. the new vet dont believe she ever had a gallbladder infection. So she has practically been without meds for her real problem for over a month! Im so upset on her behalf :(

The bloodcells the vet hadnt seen before turned out to be within the norm, when sendt to a laboratory.

Next time I get an ill pet, where theres no need for previous journals, Im going somewhere else than our regular vets!

Yeah, Kitty just jumped up on my lap and gave me cuddles today. She hasnt done that in a while, so it really warmed my heart :)

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Initially she was given veraflox for the lung infection. She got diarrhea, so the vet suggested convenia to try to avoid that. At this point the lung infection probably started to flare up again, as conveia probably didnt take the infection in lungs. 14 days later she apperently had a gallbladder infecton, and was given Flagyl, which also not did not affect the lung infection. the new vet dont believe she ever had a gallbladder infection. So she has practically been without meds for her real problem for over a month! Im so upset on her behalf :(

The bloodcells the vet hadnt seen before turned out to be within the norm, when sendt to a laboratory.

Next time I get an ill pet, where theres no need for previous journals, Im going somewhere else than our regular vets!

Yeah, Kitty just jumped up on my lap and gave me cuddles today. She hasnt done that in a while, so it really warmed my heart :)
You can request that copies of paperwork be sent to a new vet, so even if you need the older records, you should be able to go elsewhere.

ruthm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I was thinking your old vet gave Flagyl(Metronidiazole) for the diarrhea; that's what Flagyl works best for. 

You and Kitty were in a very unfortunate position with your old vet- I understand though, just because someone is a veterinarian, doesn't mean they will know everything, your mileage will vary so the saying goes..  Those ultrasounds are subject to interpretation and that is totally dependant on the skills of the person doing the interpretation. Fortunately for Kitty, you were quick to seek out another vet, Kitty is a very lucky girl!  It warmed my heart to see your video too! Thanks for the update and fingers crossed she continues to feel better!

ETA:  You can request copies of all of your records from your old vet. I would definitely want a copy of those ultrasound reports!  My vet always emails them after each visit.  Maybe your old vet can just email them to your new vet. 

Last edited:

carinajosefine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A little Kitty-update :) Things are looking up here at home :) I feel like I can finally breath again! Kitty is quite active these days. She follows me around like she usually does when she isnt ill, she keeps me from falling asleep at night by cuddeling me, and she wakes me up in the middle of the night, and in the morning, because she wants to go outside in the kitty coop to hunt bugs. Im a bit cautious to let her be outside too much, considering she has a lung infection, but at the same time I dont want to take away her favourite thing in the world completely. Any advice on that one?

I dont see her eat much, buti still syringe feed her about 2/3 of what a cat her size should have each day. With her being awake while im asleep, its quite possible she eats then. I try not to let that worry me too much, as long as she overall seems more happy and active :)