My cat is hungry all the time

jess1970

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 3 cats 2 boys and one girl. My boys are at a good weight but my girl is overweight and hungry a lot. I used to free feed dry and I stopped about 4 months ago. They all get about 4 ounces of wet food a day half in morning and around 6 pm. My boys seem fine but my girl is hungry again 2 hour later. They each get 3/4 cup of Science Diet Urinary dry food (non RX) right before bed around 10pm. Could it be the dry food that she is eating? I try giving her a little bit of wet food around noon but she is only interested in dry foot. Last time I changed their dry food one of boys got crystals. That’s why they eat Urinary dry food. I need suggestions plz

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jess1970

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes everything looked good. I was feeding her all wet food diet and the vet told me that it was too much. Only feed 1 to 2 times a day depending on how much dry food i giver her. He was not very helpful. He also said adult cats only need to eat twice a day. Looking for a new vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jess1970

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was thinking that the Science Diet Urinary dry food was just not enough protein or fiber to help her stay full. Also it probably has way to much carbs and other fillers.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How much does your cat weigh? That would help you to know what calories she should have. I use this one for my cats CALORIE CALCULATOR FOR CATS

I always recommend feeding wet food over dry, but especially for urinary cats. It's actually better to feed them 3-5 times a day wet food, no fish and to ensure they are at a healthy weight. Overweight cats are more prone to UTIs which can lead to crystals.

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Other than health issues, some cats can just be very food obsessed. I've been around a cat before who was extremely food focused, that even when she ate more than my cats (who weigh 2x as much as her) she would go after literally any food exposed in the apartment, down to the oil drips on our cooking oil bottles... You can try swapping her to a higher protein wet food to see if it helps her feel more full.