My cat is home alone... Problems

catsareok

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all
my cat about 9 years old, I think is mad at me because she is home alone all day, the minute I came home meows like crazy, anytime I am home she follows me everywhere, sleeps with me.. all over me all the time, never follows the wife, anyway during the day, she pees by the walls on the carpet.
smells I had her checked out and no problems.. she goes in her litter pan also,
poops on the carpet now and then too. we have 2 litter pans one in the basement, and one upstairs, even peed by her food, I got a black light, it is everywhere.. what can we do, is the carpet ruined, i am ready to lock her in the basement during the day.. getting very mad about this.. carpet is only a few years old, and will be thousands to replace,, any tips out there.. thanks

seattleeco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How long ago did you take her to the vet?

She might be lonely and in need of a second companion. Or, if there have been any changes to routine, her home, etc, they could be upsetting her. Has anything like that happened? Have you tried Feliway?

mysterymama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh! I do not envy you! Cat pee is hard, hard, hard to get out of the carpet!

We were broken into awhile back, and one of the cats peed on the carpet shortly after (I believe the cat was stressed.) This was just one spot (I know, because I got down on my hands and knees and sniffed the entire room) and boy did it stink!!! I tried several cleaners with special enzymes to break down the urine smell (bought at Petsmart) but I think what really ended up getting the smell out was the fact that I went over the carpet about 20 times with our steam vac! If you don't have one, I would highly recommend getting one.

Good luck with that cat smell!

As far as the behavior, I agree with seatleeco. It may be a change to her normal routine that's upsetting her. She could also be lonely.

You might have the vet check for a UTI as well.