My cat is hissing but not swiping or trying to claw...

coreyd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is very friendly but starting today, after I let him back inside the house after about an hour of being outside, hes acting strange he hisses when I pet him or try to pick him up.... he doesnt try to claw or bite tho hes just hissing, I tried to give him his nightly wet food meal which usually makes him go insane while im still opening the can but he wont even eat it.... why is he acting like this? hes never done this before?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coreyd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
update - He is now randomly growling and hissing as he lays on my bed and im at my computer.... what the heck is going on....?

coreyd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
im not even near him when he does it

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like poisoning. He needs to see a vet now.

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  Agreeing.  l think it sounds like he's in pain, or distress. l'd see a vet immediately.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, not just poisoning but he could be in pain. Radical behavior changes are a BIG red flag for needing emergency care.

durich

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think that another cat has moved in to your cat's territory, its like why do cats purr, now its like cats growling for no reason.

Your cat is unhapy and telling you, some thing has made your cat act this way.

The agressive hissing is not a directive of aggro to you but a way of telling you some thing has made it unhappy.

coreyd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have seen a cat over the past 3 days in the yard... the dog goes crazy when she sees it too... maybe that is it?  but I would think the dog would chase/scare it away.... the dog is a lab and she only gets along with my cat for some reason unknown.... but she hates other cats beyond belief....

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats don't continue venting about another cat when it isn't in sight/smell.

Is he still in distress?

coreyd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I dont know im keeping him in my room tonight away from the dog with his food water and litter box... if he has not improved in the morning hes going to the vet... he is starting to do his usual meowing now and not hissing when i pet him which is a good sign to me.

durich

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cats don't continue venting about another cat when it isn't in sight/smell.

Is he still in distress?
I think Smell is a bigger key for cats, I had a cat sneeak in to my house, eat my cat's food and mark my kitchen bad, but no way could i find any wet patches, but for days after,  my cat it growed, and even hissed at me.