My cat is hiding in the dark

Luana Nied

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I need help! For the second time my cat (one year old) is acting this way and starts all of the sudden. She keeps hiding and stays in the dark the whole day, it’s definitely something to do with her eyes, her third eye lid appers a little bit, she is very scared. WHAT CAN IT BE????? last time after 3 days she was ok, and now again?? Why this keeps happening?

Attachments

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
With the third eyelid showing, I would take her to the Vet. We have no way of diagnosing the issue (and are not Vets), but when cats withdraw like this, there is definitely a reason, and the eyelid issue could mean anything healthwise, not just with the eyes.

Let us know what they say. Even if she gets back to normal before you can get in to see a Vet, I would have her checked anyway. There could still be an underlying health issue.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree with the above. The 3rd eyelid being exposed, along with her hiding usually indicates some sort of illness. Even if she got over it on her own before, it would probably be best to take her to the vet so they can look at her eyes while the issue is active.

There are just too many probabilities, but this could be a sign of a viral flare up. I presume she has had all of her vaccinations, so identifying a specific virus might be difficult since a titer test would likely show positive due to the vaccinations. You might ask your vet if there are any viruses they can test for, and what they think about using an immunity booster supplement. There are folks on this site who use DMG for immune boosting.
Amazon.com : VetriScience Laboratories - Vetri DMG Liquid, Immune Support for Cats and Dogs, 30 Servings : Pet Antioxidant Nutritional Supplements : Pet Supplies