My Cat is Having Constant Spasms and No One Knows Why!!! HELP ME!!!!

walker2882

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Autocorrect changed my spelling of Prednisolone in my last post. Annoying. Yes, I have tried to taper him off the Pred but he starts to have spasms again. I try every couple of months. I'm currently trying again. It's Day 2. I will see.

She seems a little better this week- i really believe for her it was the history of hyperesthesia with flea medicine combo- this week is week 4. I started feeding her a raw diet too (instinct raw) and am giving lots of love/encouragement/prayers. I'll pray for your kitty too

furbabies33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 14 week old kitten who can fall into a deep sleep instantly.For instance he will be playing and then all of a sudden he is asleep with his eyes open then boom he's out like a light. You lift his paw and it drops and he does not wake up. His body then starts to violently twitch all over. His body will jump at times to the point he jumps up and races across the bed while sleeping and falls off the bed or runs into things. He may wake up but then instantly falls back to sleep.He also growls and meows while he is twitching. This is basically every time he falls asleep. I thought he was dreaming at first but as I watch him it seems as if his body won't relax enough for hime to rest, which is probably why he is tired all the time.Anyone else have this issue to this extreme that can shed some light?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a 14 week old kitten who can fall into a deep sleep instantly.For instance he will be playing and then all of a sudden he is asleep with his eyes open then boom he's out like a light. You lift his paw and it drops and he does not wake up. His body then starts to violently twitch all over. His body will jump at times to the point he jumps up and races across the bed while sleeping and falls off the bed or runs into things. He may wake up but then instantly falls back to sleep.He also growls and meows while he is twitching. This is basically every time he falls asleep. I thought he was dreaming at first but as I watch him it seems as if his body won't relax enough for hime to rest, which is probably why he is tired all the time.Anyone else have this issue to this extreme that can shed some light?
Have you taken your kitten to a vet?  This sounds like a serious problem.

walker2882

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ivy is all better- she started dramatically improving exactly 4 weeks since the flea medicine was applied- so no more chemicals for her. Thank you all for your replies and support!

mayamoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,
So my maya has been having the "shivers" since approximately 2 years ago. She doesn't have them often, maybe once every few weeks and they don't last very long. Sometimes it'll be just her arm, or her back leg or tummy and it looks just how Lycan's did. I haven't tried to catch it on video because it's so subtle, I mostly only ever feel it when she's laying on me or against me. My old roommate noticed first and ever since she mentioned it, I've kept an eye on it. It hasn't necessarily increased in frequency or anything, I'm just up right now, can't sleep and she started shivering against my leg so I started looking for information. I came across this forum and watched the videos. The videos match Maya's shivers perfectly... My worry is that I don't exactly know what these acronyms are or what they really mean. (FIH, FIV, some tick disease or Lyme disease thing etc.). We did live on a farm for some time prior to me moving in with that roommate. And I distinctly remember having to pull ticks off of maya a few times. I have plans to take her to a vet soon but don't want to run all the crazy tests on her and pay so much money. I'm hoping this forum can give me insight as to whether it's severe enough to warrant a visit.

jjack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just want to say thank you for this thread of info. My cat of 21/2 ​years has the spams and is getting worse. I have had him to vet a number of times, many tests and all came back with nothing wrong. I will look into all of the information you all have posted. I will say he had two urinary infections and the last was the worst. He had to be hospitalized and had to have anesthesia because he had so many crystals he was blocked. This worries me  that the anesthesia may be contributing to things. Anyway glad I found this age thanks again for all the information.  

allie allie cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I am so glad I found this Thread....  My cats have been having the same thing.  My 16 year old cat developed these symptoms a year before he passed away from old age; he passed away February 2016.  Eight months before he passed away, I got another cat/kitten (July 2015).  Within a month or two after being in my house, she developed the exact same spasms... I was thinking it was the Advantage given...  March 2016 this year, I got another kitten (two cats in total now).  Again, after a few months in my house, she developed the same symptoms.  Both kittens were treated with Advantage, the first month I got them, and deworming meds and vaccinations and so forth; they both were switched over to Revolution the following months.  A year before my 16 year old passed, he was started on Revolution (flea medication).  Before that he was on advantage.  Their last dose was August 2016 and the symptoms still continues with the muscle spasms/contractions upon rest (laying down) and going to sleep and continuing while sleeping.  I also asked my vet regarding all three and he suggested that it is something toxic  in the environment as all three had the same symptoms, which of course is freaking me out.  But then I have to wonder if it is the Advantage or Revolution.

I read another post on this same thread who said that after he moved, the cats symptoms stopped.  Really makes you wonder if it is environmental or if it is flea medication.  Both Advantage and Revolution kills fleas by sending the fleas into contractions which is why I also wondering if it could mainly be because of the Flea meds.  Perhaps these companies are using different compounds now. Or perhaps it is something in the environment.  What in the environment could cause this?

Would love to know what others think of this.

jjack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you got any plants in your home? Aloe was one my old cat kept going after. Many are poisonous to cats. I have used frontline plus for years on multi cats with no problem.

Are you renting? ~ if so do they spray or use poisons to deter bugs or mice? lastly passing something from litter to each cat?

I will tell you my male cat was having spasms for a couple of years and finally found it was crystals in his urine causing infection, pain and finally blockage. It was horrible and 3 vets later and lots of $$, finally got to the point had to do a major surgery and remove his male parts and make an opening to allow urination. He is now doing well but it was crystals in urine that was sooo painful and is on a special diet of "Urinary SO" cat food I get from the vet.

Wish you luck but you shouldn't get anymore cats till you find an answer.

allie allie cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was trying to think what new has come into my house or any changes made in the last 2-3 years with regards to toxins in the home environment.  Both my cats are indoor cats, so I wouldn't think it was anything from outside and we don't use any kind of chemicals around our house or outside the house.  I did buy a used couch three to four years ago; didn't realize until I had it home that it was covered in Febreez... I had it professionally cleaned twice; so who knows about the chemicals in it... but that was over three to four years ago.  Also we had the front window replaced; 10 feet long.  It is a double glass window with argon/krypton (gas filled) in between it; it is designed to keep the cold out and the heat in.  This was replaced a number of years ago as well.  Over time though, I read that these do leak minimally.  I also noticed when cleaning the window that around the edges there was some kind of residue, very thin film; all four sides, top, bottom and sides (you wouldn't find it unless you looked at the cloth afterwards.  I was thinking it was the gases leaking; didn't think anything of it.   I did buy this perch/hammock that I placed in the front window (argon/krypton gas filled); in fact it sticks to the window (suction cups which brings it about two inches from the window.  My cats spend about 80% of their time in this perch/hammock.  In the last year of my 16 year old cat's life, this hammock was purchased.  I also read that there have been no studies done with regards to the effects of agron/krypton on animals inhaling this.  Any thoughts on this?  I just removed the perch/hammock last night.

allie allie cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think I have found the problem. They were not drinking enough water. I started them on wet food and one of my cats (Allie) the problem stopped right away. It took a few more months on wet food for it to stop with my other cat (Ling); she was having severe diarrhea and now I know it was because she wasn't drinking. Since on wet food with water mixed in, the diarrhea stopped (now getting water). It was the lack of water why they had spasms and diarrhea. Even now they can't stand the smell of tap water... not sure what is in the tap water (City drinking water), but they can barely stand Brita water either (I am going to try running it through Brita twice). But they have to drink it in order to eat the wet food though. They smell it, back away, but then come back to it because they are hungry. Ever since I have started mixing water with the wet food the spams slowly stopped for Ling (now have stopped completely; it took a few months). I notice if I don't mix extra water with the wet food she will get the spasms again. NOW, I just have to figure out a way to get them to drink plain water and not having to mix it with wet food (forcing it).