My Cat is Growling and Hissing

loveofcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, My one year old cat has been aggressive the past few days. She is not aggressive towards people but the dog. They usually get along really well but anytime the dog comes near her she is hissing and growling. She also has been hiding a lot under the bed. She has also been sleeping more than usual and very cuddly. She seems to be eating, drinking, and pooping/peeing normally. She is not running around as much as usual. We suspect she is pregnant also, yes it was an accident we were going to get her spayed then her belly started getting bigger and looking pregnant. We are going to get her spayed after the kittens are born. Abortion is not an option if she is pregnant! Also she seems to have a bump on her tail that is extremely painful for her, we are guessing she got in a fight with another cat. Could she be in labor and have only one or two kittens? Is she sick? Is she just in pain from the fight?

Thank you ahead of time!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

loveofcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is now growling and hissing when I try to pick her up. This is not normal. She is also only lying on her side.

kysand7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If your kitty is pregnant then you should not try to pick her up as it can harm the babies. What does she look like? Are her nipples pink or large? My cat is pregnant as well and she has a huge round belly and large nipples that don't have hair around them anymore. She is due to have the babies anytime now.

When I first figured out that she was pregnant she had bright pink nipples. Hope that helps some!

loveofcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Her nipples are not pink or enlarged.  She tummy feels like there is a small ball in there. She is about 8 lb and is not gaining weight anywhere but her bell.

loveofcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I need more opinions! Please reply!

kysand7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It could be worms then... I'd definitely schedule her a visit to your Vet.

loveofcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update! She had a big cut in her tail. It is a lot better she is back to her normal self! I got advise from a vet tech on how to treat it. She is doing much better!

We still think she is pregnant though. But I can't tell if she is or not!

loveofcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I come here for positive advice and do not mean to offend anyone. As I said we were planning on getting her spayed when she figured out the dog door. Then she started acting pregnant. When she has the kittens we will get her spayed. Things happen and I understand there is too many kittens in the world.

ryan glenn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I come here for positive advice and do not mean to offend anyone. As I said we were planning on getting her spayed when she figured out the dog door. Then she started acting pregnant. When she has the kittens we will get her spayed. Things happen and I understand there is too many kittens in the world.
Is she an inside outside cat? Picking her up while she is pregnant will not harm the babies as long as you do it carefully. Can you feel anything moving in her stomach? If she isn't gaining any weight then I don't think she is pregnant. Even if it was a little bit of weight she should still gain something if she is pregnant. ETA: I would tr to get her to a vet though because of her tail. I know you said that you had someone help you with that, but if it doesn't heal up in a few weeks you should take her in to the vet. 

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Im sorry I didnt payed attention to your thread earlier.

That bite in her tail must have hurted her really much....  This is why she was irritated on the dog.

It was an automatic advice to let a vet see her.   Im glad this is better now.

Still, a vet visit may still be in order. Checking up, advice for suitable deworming.

I will now add some useful links for her pregnancy.  Hope you have use for some of them.

Good luck!

Most of these links have been readied by our forumist  Red Top Rescue:

We have a good collection of articles in the Cat Health section which you can access by scrolling up to the brown bar, clicking on Articles,and then choosing the Cat Health section and scrolling through the choices.  To make this super easy for you, I am copying the links regarding birth, delivery and newborns for you here.  After reading this information, let us know if you have any more questions.  And good luck with your approaching new arrivals.

Birth, Delivery and Newborns

How to Tell if My Cat is Pregnant?

Cat Pregnancy

How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth?

Pregnant Cat? What to Prepare For the Birth

Help! My Cat is Having Kittens!

Premature Kittens

Post-Birth Complications in Cats

And also:

http://www.icatcare.org/advice/my-cat-having-kittens     ( This is a link to a group of articles on cat pregnancy, birth and kittens.   Read the ones on normal cat birth and on " when to wait and when to worry"  )  

Fleece or flannel good to use in the bedding for kittens.

Last edited:

loveofcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes she is an inside outside cat. No I can't feel the babies moving. But she is still gaining weight. Thank you for the advice if the tale is not getting better a trip to the vet is in order. Also I feed her twice a day. She gets about 3/4 cup per day and gets tons of exercise. So she is not overeating.

Last edited:

ryan glenn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Yes she is an inside outside cat. No I can't feel the babies moving. But she is still gaining weight. Thank you for the advice if the tale is not getting better a trip to the vet is in order. Also I feed her twice a day. She gets about 3/4 cup per day and gets tons of exercise. So she is not overeating.
If she is pregnant I recommend that you leave food down for her constantly. Also you need to feed her kitten food. If you can't feel them moving then I would guess she is under six weeks pregnant, but I could be wrong. Have you seen her try to nest? Has she stopped eating?

loveofcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay I will leave her food down. She slowed down her eating for like a week and now she is eating every last drop of food. What does nesting behavior look like?

ryan glenn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well did she slow down when her tail was messed up? For her being pregnant I would say its nothing because my queen did the same thing. She was eating a whole bowl of food a day, then she was only eating a fourth of a bowl and then she was back to eating a whole bowl. She could have been throwing up and you just didn't see because she did it when she was outside.